TV Antennas

bearwayne

Hello everyone,
After multiple tries to get the satellite dish to work on the road with no success (using a Dish Network dish & Winegard Tripod), it's time to fix the attenna. The Winegard antenna on my used '95 Sunnybrook 5W is shot. It'll go up, but won't come down without some help, & won't rotate. In looking at various catalogs, I see a similar amplified bi-directionaly wing-type antenna made by Winegard, but also a disk-type omnidirectional antenna that seems better suited for moving motor homes. Do any of you have recommendations regarding TV antennas?

Your input is appreciated!
Thanks!

Gary B

TV Antennas

Hi Barry, welcome to the forum, the disk type ominidirectionals, have about half the reception distance of the bat wing types, parts are readlly available for the winegard antennas, sounds like the eleavating gears are stripped, I think it would be cheaper to repair the one you have then to make a complete change over, good luck. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: ;) :approve:

janicenlarry

TV Antennas

Hi Barry, Gary B is right on. Think also is stripped gears and a lack of lubrication/maintenance. Wineguard has an internet site and they should be able to help you.

Kirk

TV Antennas

How do you get into the gears to lubricate them? I have the Weinguard and am about to takle that job.

Gary B

TV Antennas

Hi Kirk, I just go up on the roof and spray plentily of silocone lubercate on the exposed gear and has someone crank the ant. up and down, about 2 times up and down and you really notice a difference. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: ;) :approve:

ARCHER

TV Antennas

Kirk,
I had to do the same think with my crank up antenna. I sprayed with silicon (with the little red tube on the can) all around the gears and where I could reach. I also sprayed inside the MH (took the crank off and sprayed up into the connection). Be careful to not drip on the carpet, etc.
Good luck :)

bearwayne

TV Antennas

Thanks for your replies everyone. I think will replace the whole unit as it seems to be pretty dilapidated. I appreciate learning that there is regular maintenance (the lubrication) required. I didn't know that. Either the previous owner neglected it, or it was so used that it just wore out!

Barry