TV

6roadrunner0

I bought a 2008 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger a couple of months ago. When I picked it up the TV didn't work. The salesman said the reason was it was an analog TV, so he put a digital TV in and tried it, it picked up one station. My wife and I have been on several weekend trips to medium sized metropolitan areas and can't get anything. A guy at the last campsite showed me that his TV was working. He told me that when they changed the TV's and took the old analog TV out, the digital TV they put in may not work with this antenna. He suggested I buy something (signal enhancer) and clamp it to the antenna. Any suggestions

akjimny

Re: TV

Hi Ken and welcome to the RVUSA Forum. I had the same problem with my 2007 Sunseeker - old analog TV that I switched to a digital. I have a Wineguard Sensor antenna (looks like an airplane wing) and I discovered it had to be pointed directly at the broadcast station in order to receive a signal. I added a Wingman VFH/UHF add-on antenna (that's the thing he was telling you to clamp on the antenna) and things got a little better. It still has to be pointed pretty close to the station to get a signal.

So, you can add a 12 volt signal amplifier and/or the Wingman add-on, and if you are with 20-30 miles AND point the antenna at the station, you PROBABLY will get a signal.

Or switch over to satellite TV, which is what I'm looking at next. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :) :)

Again, welcome, and post back to let us know how you do.

krsmitty

I must have a good digital TV (RCA) and antenna in my 2010 Jayco. I can go about anywhere and pick up TV. Granted it may be 2,3,4 analog, but at least 20 digital stations. Several outings back I was able to get over 30 stations, while others in our group where able to get 0 (zero stations) to only 5 or 6. It seems to be a combination of TV, antenna, holding your mouth just right, direction, etc.

H2H1

Well Ken S that was the way it was at ST. Andrews State Park. We could not get one channel, NOT ONE!. And that is one run down park, we will not be going back there ever again.

6roadrunner0

AKJimmy,
According to the paper work that came with the RV, my antenna is also a Winegard Sensar. When I get to a campsite and raise the antenna, turn on the TV and have it do a search for channels, it can't find any. I'll get the Wingman VFH/UFH add on antenna and try that and let you know how it works. Thanks a lot.

akjimny

Ken - This is my routine:

1. Pull into campsite, raise antenna.
2. Make sure TV power plug didn't fall out of the socket, turn on amplifier.
3. Try to figure out where town is, point antenna in that direction.
4. Tell TV to search for channels (which takes forever).
5. If no channels found, rotate antenna slightly.
6. Repeat Step 4.
7. Repeat Step 5.
8. etc. etc. etc. etc.
9 Finally give up, turn on DVD player, watch movie. :angry: :angry: :eek: :eek:

H2H1

yes that it the new bath house was across from where we was staying, but it was not finished
the ground was a mess and the people who had dogs let them do ther business and never cleaned up after them. and thegrass in our site was over 8'' high

krsmitty

Dang, still not finished :eek: :(

They were working on that bath house when we were there Thanksgiving week of 2010. Went back the last week of December and they were still working on it. Eight months later and they are still working on it. :eek:

As for the grounds it was always mowed as far as I can remember. The bath house was biggest complaint, back before they decided to start repairs on it.

Did you get to Rainbow Springs? Where you staying now?

H2H1

they was still trying to pour concrete walk ways.when we left they was setting up the forms to pour. So maybe next time you are there it should be all completed. I know we aren't going back. We did check out the Venture Out Resort RV Park and may stay there next time we are in that area. It is a little pricey but it is clean and well kept.

6roadrunner0

Thanks Ak, I had always just raised the antenna and run the channel check. I stopped at the RV dealer down the road and ordered the VHF/UHF add on and the 12 volt signal amplifier, won't be here until wed.. The salesman also ask if they installed a digital tuner when they changed the analog for digital. I don't think they did, is that something else I need to get ? :question:

Triple E

RE: TV

6roadrunner0 - 8/8/2011 9:27 AM I bought a 2008 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger a couple of months ago. When I picked it up the TV didn't work. The salesman said the reason was it was an analog TV, so he put a digital TV in and tried it, it picked up one station. My wife and I have been on several weekend trips to medium sized metropolitan areas and can't get anything. A guy at the last campsite showed me that his TV was working. He told me that when they changed the TV's and took the old analog TV out, the digital TV they put in may not work with this antenna. He suggested I buy something (signal enhancer) and clamp it to the antenna. Any suggestions

:question: You said that your salesman "put a digital TV in and tried it, it picked up one station". Did you keep that digital TV? I am just wondering why it worked once but not now. :question:

6roadrunner0

RE: TV

Steve
I had forgot to mention I did pick up one channel when we drove to my daughters home in the Richmond, mechanicsville, Va. area. I had been just raising the antenna and running a channel check. AKjimmy told me in an earlier post I need to fine tune the antenna by turning it toward the nearest city or TV station ( which I had not been doing) and adding a Wingman VFH/UHF add on antenna & a 12 volt Signal Amplifer. The parts have been ordered and will be here wed. Because of the aren I live in (Eastern Kentucky) I won't know if it has improved until we take a trip out of the mountains. Thanks a bushel for the query.

H2H1

well I went and orders 2 new HD TVs for the MH. I am going to replace the one up front and install one in one of the compartments out side so I can sit outside and watch the race or what ever. Now if I can get a direct receiver from my son I will have direct TV also. Just waiting to see if he can another receiver box and at what cost it will cost me per month to have it.

6roadrunner0

Hollis, What brand HD are you thinking of buying? The RV we bought has a 19" jensen and I was thinking of putting it in the bedroom and buying a new 32" for the front. How do TV's made for the home hold up in RV's?

H2H1

I orders 2 SANYO from Walmart, they are both 26'' due to the limited space I have over head. The one for the over head has a built in cd/drv player. I will take the other one AND install inside one of the compartments. But during the winter months I will take it out and bring inside so the grand kids will have a bigger one to watch.