two questions for women

nanelba

We have a new RV. There is a bed above the cab that is 58" x 95". What do you use for bedding? Double sheets are too short and queen sheets are way too wide. Also does anyone travel with china dishes?
We are hoping to start out part time and then work up to full time rving when we retire in a few years. Lots to learn obviously.

hertig

two questions for women

For the above cab bed, many people use sleeping bags. You may be able to find custom sized bedding at a RV specialty store, but be prepared to pay big bucks. Cheapest alternative would be to get Queen stuff. Bottom sheet I'd leave alone; more to tuck under. If the top sheet(s) & blankets are just too wide to bear (personally I like extra width), cut them down to size and hem the new edge...

I'm sure there is someone out there who travels with china, but it is not really a good idea. Stuff in the cabinets can bounce around pretty good, and china/glass can get chipped or broken. And that is on top of the dangers during normal use. The R in RV stands for Recreational, and I don't find washing dishes 'recreational'. But if you don't like disposable plates and glasses, there are plenty of plastic (lightweight and tough) and other 'unbreakable' alternatives out there.

SunflyerAZ

two questions for women

Camping World sells some sleep sacks that come in several sizes - sheet and comfortor all attached. We got one for the sleep sofa in the living room section of our motorhome.

They also have some melamine dishes that look nice and are very inexpensive. :cool:

C Nash

two questions for women

Dog gone, I thought John was a man :laugh: (sorry john, just couldn't let this one pass) :evil: Great info coming from a man and I am sure nanelba appricates it
:approve:

nanelba

two questions for women

Thanks everyone. Okay maybe guys have some ideas about bedding and dishes but didn't think that they would be interested enough to respond.Although it is very cold here, we are going to take the new motorhome for a spin this weekend - just not going to use the water as it is already winterized. Can't wait until spring to play with it.

C Nash

two questions for women

nanelba,
Most of us here will give our opinion on most anything and I see you are new to the board. Don't pay any attention to my kidding John. We have been around here a while and are kinda family I guess. Let us know how the week end turns out. Saw in your profile that you like gardening. Once you get this camping fever that garden will grow GREAT weeds :laugh:

nanelba

two questions for women

Thanks Charlie. The weekend went great. We camped without water as it was 10 degrees and so had to use the pit toilets, but the camper stayed nice and warm. That bed above the cab still confounds me.
I'll keep looking for a comfortable answer. Not too interested in paying $225.00 for the one piece outfit. I am already tired of winter and it is only November. Hurry up retirement. I am ready to give up the gardening for travel. We will be selling this place in the next couple of years in preparation for hitting the road full time.

Ed H.

two questions for women

I had an old pickup camper with a bed the same size in it. What I did for a fitted sheet was to buy 2 full size fitted sheets and cut one end off each. The endless sheets were then overlapped and sewn together to make the right length. Having double cloth in the middle gave extra durability and never disturbed my sleep. Hope this helps.
Ed

hertig

two questions for women

Chelse, what can I say? When the phone rings for either the man of the house or the woman of the house, it always seems to be for me...

Plant

two questions for women

Hi Nanelba, I'm new to this group about the sheets for the overhead you might try waterbed sheets they are fastened at the foot, but it will not help on the width. But it sure would be cheaper. About the dishes I took a hint from my parents and have Corel Ware but you do need to pad them, I made bags like a pillow cases only small for every plate, dish, glass (Yes! we travel with glass glasses.), pan, and skilet. I don't like to "rough it" the ruff way. Do have fun, we do.

Plant

two questions for women

Nanelba, The reason I make covers for the Corell is that over time the dishes get sharp especially the plates, again from my parents who spent a lot of time in a 5h wheel and a motorhome. I just use some sheets that I didn't like you don't need much to keep them from rubbing. My husband does all the cooking so I don't mind doing a few dishes, I guess I'm not a true camper. But we spend 5 days a week at a camper that doesn't move and only travel 2 months out of the year. Good camping however you do it, it is not the same for everyone.