Unwanted Smell

MDThayer

We purchased a 2000 Mini Winnie in December 2006 and have been very happy with it until this week. While parked in our driveway for preparation for an upcoming trip we have noticed an odor (that resembles sewage) coming from the outside door to the hot water heater! :( Our tanks appear to be empty and the odor seems to only be apparent around this hot water heater area (which is opposite of our sewage tanks). Our camper is parked on a forward slope. Any ideas???

Thanks

Diane and Mark Thayer
2000 Minnie Winnie

hertig

Re: Unwanted Smell

Water heaters collect impurities in the water and need to be cleaned out every now and again. First shut off the water and the heat, and after it cools down, open the drain plug and let it drain. Then stick a tank cleaning nozzle in the drain port and wash out the crap on the bottom of the tank.

hamdave

Whats a 'tank cleaning nozzle'?? Are we talking about a hi jet nozzle at say 50-60 psi water??

DL Rupper

About 3 years ago, I bought a yellow wand that is about 12" long, screws on to your water hose and has a little on/off switch on it. It is small in diameter and fits into your drain plug. I bought it at an RV parts store and it is made exclusively for rinsing out RV water heaters. Can't remember the brand name. It was fairly cheap as I remember. Probably under $5.00. ;)

hertig

That's the one. I got mine at Camping World. It is a slightly flexible tube with a bent end, to spray water into the tank and stir up the sediment, which then flushes out the drain port around this tube. It can also be inserted into the port for the pressure relief valve, but that's too much trouble for me (removing and replacing the valve).

The jet does not need to be particularly strong, so even 40 PSI ought to work. It does need to be directional, so you can get most of the sediment off the bottom and out the drain port.

TexasClodhopper

I made one out of PEX tubing and fittings that I had laying around. 1/2" PEX is just the right size and has a natural curve to it. You can cut the end in different ways to make it spray around.

This is a pretty wet job. Lots of water draining everywhere.

hertig

Yes, pretty wet, unless you get really clever. I replaced my drain plug with a pipe threaded both ends, then a T with a valve and hose fitting on the T side and the plug into the remaining end. Now I can hook a hose to the fitting, open the valve and drain the tank without water getting all over the coach or me. Then I take out the plug and insert the tank nozzle. To keep the water from flushing back around the nozzle, I have a threaded fitting around it which threads into the T, with an O ring around the nozzle to seal it. Still get sprayed on occasion as I move the nozzle around to get all the sediment out, but much less than I used to. Of course, you have to have enough room for all this; I designed if for my trailer but it wouldn't fit, but managed to fit it in the coach.

MDThayer

RE: Unwanted Smell

Thanks for the suggestions and quick response. I will try this and hopefully will become smell free.

Diane
2000 Minni Winnie