USAF Moving South Dakota worried about Full Time winter

patt67

I'm moving from Korea to Rapid City South Dakota in Jun and thinking about getting a 5th wheel or toyhauler since I have a Harley. I retire in about 18 months and don't want to pay the rent. I had a class c a few years ago but didn't use it much. I would be by myself but I'm worried about the winters and keeping the water/sewer from freezing. Any suggestions on the best brands to look at or how bad it would be full time in South Dakota climate. How are the stackable washer/dryer units. Air Force girl with lots of questions from Korea....HELP

TexasClodhopper

Re: USAF Moving South Dakota worried about Full Time winter

Pattie, welcome to the forum. We appreciate your service to our country in the Air Force!

Usually, when we speak of fulltiming it means that you would be traveling around visiting more than one place. It sounds like you will be more permanent than that. Will you be staying in an RV park? There's always rent to pay someone.

You'll need to insulate any piping that is external to your RV and use heat tape. You'll also need to put some kind of skirting around your RV to keep the wind from blowing underneath it.

vanole

patt67,

Don't envy the winter at Ellsworth. I flew in there a couple of times (even though I'm retired Navy) yowza cold. Depending on where you are at in Korea it could be very much the same.

As tex said skirting is important for the winds experiene there. Don't know if "Bigfoot" (not even sure if they are still in business) makes a unit like you are interested in but I had a few squid buddies of mine who had a travel trailer of theres many years ago at Loring (now closed) up in Maine and lived in it thru some harsh winters.

Always great to see a Harley Rider and Rv'er posting and welcome to the forum. Many folks here who are in the RV business, and retired military.

Jeff
GO NAVY

patt67

RE: USAF Moving South Dakota worried about Full Time winter

Thanks all, I found an Park, Its Hart Ranch RV Resort...kinda of pricy to join...2,500 for membership but after the first year it is 233 a yr and lot rent full time including utilities except propane is 195 a month. So that is pretty good when you divide by 24 months the likely time I'll be there. If I could find a good used 5th wheel w/out the toy hauler I would do that and just keep the bike at a friends. My bike is so big it would be alot of weight I think for an extended time...its over 1K lb Harley Davidson Ultra Classic. I really would like an RV w/washer dryer and I'm not sure what brands are best for winter...any suggestions. I'm at Osan AFB In Songtan Korea about 1.5 hours south of Seoul. And can't wait to retire!!!!!! 23 years and counting down. And my primary home is in Wichita Falls TX so I know the RV would love TX weather.

TexasClodhopper

Dang! If yer already a Texas girl, then what are you waiting for? Come on back! :clown:

Kirk

Wichita Falls can get pretty cold, but it don't come close to matching Rapid City! There are very few RVs that are designed to deal with the kind of winters that they have and the ones which are so designed are also very heavy. You will need a medium duty truck to tow one of them. You need to look at Mobile Suites and if interested in used, Teton.