Use Our Own Furniture In Fiver?

Babyl80

My husband and I are about to (possibly) order a new 36' Hitchhiker Discover America, but we want to use some of our own furniture rather than what traditionally comes with it. The only problem is, we can't seem to find a way to get something like our sofa-sleeper or our queen-size mattress into the thing through that skinny front door! Is there another avenue we can use to get the furniture inside, or do we have to hire someone to pull off one of the slides?!?

Grandview Trailer Sa

Are you serious? Pull out a slide? $$$$$
RV furniture is downsized to fit. The RV queen mattress is the same width as you home mattress, but 4" shorter (I think). If the sleeper sofa goes out toward, say a kitchen cabinet, it was designed to fit in that space and I would bet yours won't. Do some carefull measuring before you pull out that slide.

SnowbirdInFlight

We hated our 'convertable couch' that came with our Forest River Sierra TT so we measured and shopped and shopped and shopped, until we found the perfect sized love seat recliner to go in that spot. Of course it wouldn't go through the door but, the backs of the recliner love seat slid off and we were able to move it into the trailer in two pieces. Of course we checked this at the furniture store before we bought it. We also moved our own Queen mattress into the trailer with no problem at all. In my opinion it would be easier for you to see if your furniture you want in the 5th wheel could be disassembled and reassembled rather than removing the slide.

hertig

Sometimes you can get stuff in via a big window.

One thing to keep in mind with 'your own' furniture is to keep in mind any
use while in travel. For instance, if you put in a chair or sofa and will ever use it while in motion, make sure that it is of appropriate construction, fastened in place adequately, and has seat belts correctly installed.

The other thing to watch is the weight. Weight the unit (overall, each axel, and each side) before replacing anything significant to see if you are anywhere near an axel limit or the GVWR. If you're enough under all limits, go ahead and replace, but then weigh again to ensure that you are still under the limits, and also that you are still in balance side to side (may have to move stuff around in storage to return to this state).

Babyl80

Thanks for your input. Talked with a dealer who says he has removed the bay window in the back of the fiver, letting him put in a large chair, etc. Has anyone else done this??

bgruschy

You might want to talk to an upholstery shop, it may be a better option to disasemble the furniture and reassemble.

foutsdw

I am curious what you found as a replacement. I am thinking of replacing what I have. Have not started the search yet.

Dave
Oceanside, CA

SnowbirdInFlight

Hey Dave, don't know who you're talking to but thought I'd answer as if it were me :laugh: .

We bought a Lazyboy love seat recliner. We like it because both sides have the recliner - kind of like a His 'n' Her recliner, ha ha. I have the right side and he has the left. It not only makes it much more comfortable but we lucked out and found a color that matched the trailer decor too! Happy hunting!

Couch1.jpg

Couch2.jpg

Couch3.jpg

Couch4.jpg

foutsdw

Snowbird, Yes, thanks for awnsering, but we need something that will allow 2 grownups to sleep???

The need is for 4 grownups to travel. The regular queen is great, but the couch is too short.

hertig

How about a queen blow up bed?

If you are going to be carrying more people than the unit was designed to sleep, make sure they all have legal and safe places to sit while you are in motion...

foutsdw

Hertig;

It's a 37' diesel pusher. It currently has the sofa/bed and 2 individual seats. All of those are facing sideways. Maybe the 2 individual swivel some.

hertig

Yes, that's what mine has, but there is only 1 seatbelt (in addition to the driver and passenger seatbelts), and no built in bolt holes to add more seatbelts. The unit is designed to sleep 3, so only has seatbelts for 3. I don't know if that is the usual practice (only providing legal seating for the number of sleep positions), but I would not be surprized if it is fairly common.

SnowbirdInFlight

Well while the chairs are in the reclining position you actually can sleep on them, because we have. If you wanted to make them more comfortable you could always put a blow-up mattress on top of them. :laugh:

Couch5.jpg