V10 Performance

genel

I'm considering buying a 2001 Adventurer with a Ford V10 or similar Class A RV. Planning to use it for an extended trip around the US towing a Honda CRV. Would appreciate opinions/experiences of when this type of gas rig wouldn't perform well, particularly altitude and grade restrictions I might face. Under what "normal" conditions (ie. not mechanical failure) would the vehicle overheat, force my wife to seperately drive the tow vehicle, slow to crawl,etc. Given 20500 GVRW and minimal traveling water/2 passengers/etc., I'd guess I'll be driving with 18000 to 18500. I remember entering Yellowstone a few years ago in a Class C with a steep grade and wonder how this type of Class A would handle the climb.

C Nash

V10 Performance

Hi genel, We have a 2002 v10 32ft holiday rambler vactioner and I have been very pleased with the performance of the ford and I am a GM person. Went through the North Ga Mnts with no problem (was not towing). MPG average around 9 which really suprised me. I generally drive around 55. I understand some of the earlier v10 were underpowered with around 195 hp. The 2001 should be the later version. I think a lot has to do with expections. Yes, mine will lose speed going up steep inclines but, so do the semi's. Takes more room to pass and stopping takes a little getting used to. You learn to leave a little more distance between you and the vehicle you are following. The 2 second rule does not apply here! All in all very pleased.

Butch

V10 Performance

Had a '99 Chieftain with the 275 HP V-10. It was a joke in the power department. Many times it was in 1st gear and slowing down to a crawl. Enough so that it caussed my wife a few times to ask me to stop and disconnect the toad and let her drive it. I was thinking more along the lines of letting her start it up and help push. I truly had some doubts if we were actually going to top out or be forced to stop and disconnect. Kept it for 7 months and 17,000 miles before dumping it. The truly good thing about that chassis was it forced us into going diesel.

C Nash

V10 Performance

genel, be sure and drive the unit at several different speeds as there have been problems with shimmy on some of the ford chassis. I test drove a 99 and the shimmy was there which the salesman said would be no problem ha ha. Ran from that one. So far the HR has been very smooth. Butch, don't throw any rocks at us when we pass on the way to Alaska!! Got all them Ford emblems taped up,. guess that's why it runs so good :approve:

ralphie

V10 Performance

Genel,

The earlier V10s were 275hp, but changed over to 310hp around 99/00. You can check the engine version from the VIN; believe 275 has an "X" and 310 has a "Y". You can get VIN decoders online, or call Ford for an explanation.

If you are looking at a 2001 or newer, I recommend finding something on a Workhorse chassis. I'm a Ford person, but believe the W22 chassis/engine combo has a lot going for it.

Butch

V10 Performance

Chelse,

Too old to be throwing rocks. Will however opt to buy you a cup of coffee... :cool: To answer an email from T, We had a '99 Chieftain 35U. Both of us think it was the best box we have ever owned. Just couldn't deal with that Chassis and neither would Ford...BTW; replied to your email and it bounced...

tucbigdog

V10 Performance

We had a 99 Southwind 35' & towed a 99 Larson 26' cabin cruiser behind it--(boat & trailer weighed 7,640#). The engine never attempted to overheat (we live in Tucson, Az. & it gets a little hot here in the summer :cool: )
We now have a 2000 Newmar Mountain Aire 38' w/ triton & are totally happy w/it. We tow a 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer & so far no problems.
Hope this helps.

Go for it :)

retlveit

V10 Performance

This past summer we made a coast to coast in our '01 SeaView w/the V10. I thought it was decidely underpowered in pulling grades and we weren't towing anything. In the Smokies it hardly ever got out of passing gear. It puttered along on the level pretty good. We averaged around 8 mpg for the entire 8,000 mile adventure.

C Nash

V10 Performance

retiveit, what size is your SeaView? I hit the button to keep the trans from going in od while in the mountains and the 32ft holiday Rambler does very well for me but being a gm man maybe I don't expect much from the Ford ;) Maybe you need to install a NOS system :eek:

C Nash

V10 Performance

Hi Tom,
Sorry about the NOS system. You would not want this on your MH, I don't think! It's a system we use on race cars (drag)for a little extra horse power. Injects Nitrious Oxide into the engine for a few seconds for up to 300 extra HP. You might want to check into the Banks systems that are designed for the MH. Hmmmm you know that NOS might come in handy for passing :eek: Think I'll go out and slip the bottle on the v10 :laugh:

retlveit

V10 Performance

Oh year, I heard of that, just didn't know what it was called. We left the interstate in NM and there was a few times I was blowing against the windshield to get more passing oomph, definitely could have used NOS in some of those passing situations.

powerinfo

V10 Performance

Awesome motor and I know how to make it even better. I have seen grown men dance in the streets after experiencing the Banks Power pack on it.

If you would like the info, please email me and will send you in the right direction. :)

Kirk

V10 Performance

I am going to agree with PowerInfo on this one. I have owned a 35' motorhome on the 99 Triton V-10 chassis now since May of 98, and we have been fulltime in it since April of 2000. We did add the complete Banks system and I would reccomend it at least for the 275 hp version. We usually travel between 55 & 60 mph and we tow a 2001 Honda CR-V. We genreally get between 8 and 9 mpg and we climb hills with the smaller diesel motorhomes and even pass a few. We frequently pass the fivers on the road when climbing. While I do reccomend the Banks to increase power, there have been only two repairs up to this point. We had a starter replaced under warranty just after we went fulltime, and we had a pinion seal(about $130) replaced last spring. We do find that the ride is a bit stiff, but that can be pretty much solved by changing the front shocks to Monroe. They make one for this chassis that helps a lot. I don't know what the problem was for the rig that Butch had, but I would bet that it was very seriously over loaded. We, like most owners of this chassis have a difficult time in believing that we would ever find a gas chassis that would do as well. It does appear that at present if you are buying new, the Workhorse is probably exceeding the Ford, though I have not test driven either one, only read about them. But if you are looking at a gas powered motorhome of 2001 or older, the Ford is far better choice than the Chevy P-30.

Butch

V10 Performance

:laugh: Quote:I don't know what the problem was for the rig that Butch had, but I would bet that it was very seriously over loaded.End Quote:

This guy Kirk really doesn't have a clue. He is having a very hard time trying to justify what he has. Kind of feel sorry for the guy... I did get a chuckle out of one of his posts when he first picked up that thing with the Bank$ on it, when he said it would out drag his Ranger pickup. Must have been one sick pickup, Heh heh. Still chuckle about that one. Truthfully, he didn't say that, he did claim his wife said she couldn't keep up when leaving a stop light...or something to that effect. Heh, heh... At any rate Kirk, we discussed this to some detail back then. The rig was a couple of thousand pounds under gross 1st time on the Alcan. 2nd time it was a little heavier. It was simply a pathetic performer. That coupled with the violent shimmy which Ford claimed was no problem, along with a front end that ate up 3 ( three) sets of tires in 17,000 miles, front wheels that only a select few Ford dealers could correctly remove & install, coupled with too many other defects, we were glad to unload it after 7 months. Even tho It needed more power, lots more power, I would most likely have opted for a 2-speed IF I had added anything. The power gig is still an ongoing thing as most every owner I know of and hear of with early Ford V-10's are still looking for it. Quite a few even with the later V-10. But, again, most folks I know personally have unloaded theirs opting for better equipment. :) :)