v730 shift problem

jimandsuzy

My RV has a 6v92t and V730 xmission with 275,000 miles. On the hiway it suddenly shifted from 3rd lock up to I think 2nd lock up. I was going 65 MPH, it slowed to 55. After I stopped it would only go to 2nd no lock, 37 MPH. I was towed to the nearest small diesel shop and told the clutches were gone, fluid was brown. They put in a take-out unit from Nimco in NJ. It went 13 miles and then did the same as the original xmission but the fluid is bright red. The shop says they don't know what to do, I should take it away. They charged me $4050 but that's another problem. Do you have any suggestions about what might be wrong and how I can get back on the road so we can get home? Thanks.

icrman

v730 shift problem

So then there was nothing wrong with the first transmssion. Thats the beauty of electronics in cars and trucks. Shops sell complete rebuilds for computer problems. If the shop didn't fix the problem, and for that matter Misdiagnosed the problem. They should reinstall your old transmission or give you a full refund with the one that is in it now.

AllisonMan

v730 shift problem

quote:Originally posted by jimandsuzy

My RV has a 6v92t and V730 xmission with 275,000 miles. On the hiway it suddenly shifted from 3rd lock up to I think 2nd lock up. I was going 65 MPH, it slowed to 55. After I stopped it would only go to 2nd no lock, 37 MPH. I was towed to the nearest small diesel shop and told the clutches were gone, fluid was brown. They put in a take-out unit from Nimco in NJ. It went 13 miles and then did the same as the original xmission but the fluid is bright red. The shop says they don't know what to do, I should take it away. They charged me $4050 but that's another problem. Do you have any suggestions about what might be wrong and how I can get back on the road so we can get home? Thanks.

AllisonMan

v730 shift problem

Jim and suzy,
Don't listen to icrman. He has been taking my questions without authority and giving bad advice.This isn't even an electronic transmission.
What I think the problem is the low oil level sensor inside the pan. This detects low oil and then will not let the transmission shift higher than 2nd. First make sure oil level is correct. Next someone needs to remove the pan and remove the sensor. It has 2 pressure hole in it, one under bi metalic strip that raises when hot and one opposite it. If you take a center punch and peen over one hole, this has worked many times for me. Please let me know and have agreat day!
Allisonman

donald haynes

v730 shift problem

Subject: Allison transmission
Problem: Recently purchased a 1999 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage with a Caterpillar 275 engine which has been upgraded to a 300 on a Freightliner chassis with a six-speed Allison transmission. Put unit in storage for a month. Took out batteries to charge, then after starting engine, the "check transmission light" came on. Transmission is now locked into "neutral".