Vacation Over

Grandview Trailer Sa

Hey guys,

Got home last night after a great week. My wife and I, and a couple (great friends)we camp with, left our 5th wheels at home and took a 7 day cruise.Took the Carnival Victory out of Miami. Went to San Jaun, St. Thomas and St. Marteen. Weather was in the mid 80's, only rained on the ship one night and fun was had by all of us.

Had a little more than the average cruise though. First night out another passenger had a life threatening event. (They would not say what.) We were 3 hours out of Miami and had to turn around for 45 minutes and meet a Coast Guard helicopter. About 10:45 at night they came in, hovered over the deck and took the sick person and her husbandup in baskets and took them to Miami to the hospital. They did announceshe will make a full recovery. We could not take pictures as the flashes could distract the pilot, but I was able to watch. Something you see on TV and never figure you will see in real life. Those guys REALLYknow what they are doing.

That put is in San Jaun late and cut the visit very short. Wemake up some time, but not all of it. We were only there about 5 hours and it was after dark. The next day we sailed into St. Thomas and were denied entrance to the harbor. Somehow the harbor master had "overbooked". We had to anchor in the bay and be tendered in by6 boats carrying 120 people at a time. Just imagine how long it takes to move about 3,000 people off a boat at that rate. I did get to shore in time to Para-sail! BoyI would do that again in a second. Wife also got there in time to shop......

St. Marteen was great and everything went smoothly, butthe fun was not over. We had2 daysat seareturning to Miami. During the day they would be sailing slowly, but at night they wouldturn itup. This ship, that is almost 900 feet long, can do 21 knots.Friday night, the crew had a party after we all went to bed. At 2:45 in the morning a crew memberfell overboard. It took 3 miles to slow the ship down and turn around. With GPS they went back to where the man fell in. They dropped a life boat and in about an hour of searching, found him still alive. He was in bad shape, but they stabilized him on ship and took him to the hospital when we arrived in Miami. He will be OK also.

This got longer than I thought it would, sorry. We had a couple of mishaps, butwill do it again someday,after I get this one paid off!!

G

Re: Vacation Over

well Ken atleast all was not on the negative side ,, i'm glad (not a bad thought) that u got to see the rescuere's in action ,, i myself being on the Fd and a paramedic ,,never to this day get the feeling of relief and awe ,, of someone being airlifted to the hospital ,, it's a big relief , to know that they are being cared for ,,, and most of those helecopters are like a flying ER's ,, infact the ones we have here ,, have more than the ER has ,, as far as trauma stuff ,, but i guess that they need it in the situations they get into ,, and the pilots are great ,, seen one set the copter down on a really high bank ,, and hovered it there on one skid till we got the patient loaded ,,, again welcome back and i envy u ,, i have not been on a cruise in my life ,, but kinda thinking of it .. :) ;) :approve:

H2H1

Ken welcome back to land .I know how the feeling was about the cruise. I and the DW have been on seven. But that was before we fell in love with camping. Kenhow did you like the food? to me that was one of the best part of the cruise. now on the other side I hope the persons that was air lifted out is ok I have seen airlift before but never on a ship. I bet that was exciting to watch, as you know being an old firemen we get to see a lot what others never do so I am glad that it played out for everyone to see how emergency personnel work on extreme conditions .glad youare back safe and sound.WE HAVE MISSED YOU POSTS

TexasClodhopper

Ken, did you wear your new tux? ;)

We once took the cruise that goes up the Inside Passage from Seattle to Alaska. I'm ready to do that again. It wasn't really open sea, but was more like cruising in a big canal most of the way.

We were amazed at one point to see a boat zinging up to the ship (while under way), slowly ease up to the side, and a man stepped out onto the boat from the ship! Yes! They opened a hole in the side of the ship near water level so someone could get off! Eeeeeeeekkkkk!

Grandview Trailer Sa

Hollis, the food was great and an endless supply of it. Everything to Lobster Tail to Pizza. Gained a few pounds, just could not help it.

There was an older couple on board that had been on over a 100 cruises and this was their 61'st Carnival Cruise. They had those pins for returning guests everywhere.

Yep, wore the tux on formal night, took lots of pictures. For everyone that does not know, we went shopping at a Goodwill that has a "boutique" upstairs. Lots of nicer than average Goodwill clothes, dresses, etc. Found this tux that fit perfectly. There was no price and when I asked the girl at the register, she said $13.00. I took it.

There were a few hic-ups along the way, but boy did we have fun. The weather, food, service was just great. On St. Marteen, a bus driver took us to the Butterfly Farm where they have thousands. Then he took us around the island. One of his stops was a "clothing optional" beach. Saw some sites there now....Was sorry we were only there for 10 minutes. I really don't think he was supposed to let us off the bus. He got a lot of tips from the men at the end of the tour. Drove us all around the island and it is beautiful. The driver said he worked for Pepsi for 23 years, went there 18 years ago on vacation, and is still there. I can see why.

I will definitely do it again, someday.

G

I wnat more details on the clothing opitional beach ,, this is where i want the cruise ship to park :laugh: ;) :laugh: :laugh: :approve: :bleh:

C Nash

Watch it Rod :eek: Remember the DW has put up with you for 25 and you probably wont be that lucky again :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

G

Nash,, she just hapened by when i typed that ,,, anad said "clothes opitional; beach ? when we going" I NOT MAKING THIS UP ,, she really did ,,, so i guess were gonna take a cruise sonner than i thought :eek: :eek: :laugh: :approve:

Grandview Trailer Sa

Rod, just sent you a PM

Tell you wife it is on St. Martin/St. Marteen. The Dutch contol St. Marteen, the French have St. Martin. The beach is on the French side.

C Nash

Rod, cheaper to just say clothes optional at home and stay. :laugh: :laugh: . Those cruise are great. Been on 2 to the Bahamas and really enjoyed but don't want any more.

G

I think u'r right Nash ,, i was wondering how i would get the MH on the cruise ship :laugh: :eek:
But i really would like to take one sometime ,, whether it be to a clothes opitional beach or to any really warm beach :approve: :approve: :) :bleh:

C Nash

Just remember if the clothes optional applies in the MH don't forget and get out here in Alabama. Remember this is the Bible Belt :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

G

Hey it is also the bible belt around here ,, don't forget i live in a small town ,, and word gets around really fast .... opps they already heard me typing to u about this stuff now it's all over town ,, see what i mean :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

C Nash

Heck, still on a party line here so we all four families here know what i am doing :laugh: Aw forgot you don't know what party lines are :)

C Nash

Ken, was that the temp looking through the camara 10X mag at the clothes optional. Yep, I know hunting prospect for rvs :eek: Did the DW fall for thaat :question:

G

i think Ken never got the lens cover off ,, he was in awe at what he saw :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

G

u wer looking at the whales in the ocean right ;) :laugh: