Visiting National Parks next Fall.

offwego_0208

Hi - we're from Wisconsin and have a 2 week vacation planned to see a few National Parks in the West. (We're new to camping - we have a Truck Camper).
I'm thinking we're going to go through the Badlands and head to Yellowstone and maybe go to Colorado after that...
As far as a place to stay at night - if we don't have reservations, will it be difficult to just park and sleep somewhere (wayside within the Park maybe?)
We plan to go the last two weeks in September. We're really interested in Wild country where we can see wildlife - away from the crowds - if any of you have ideas or suggestions, please SEND AWAY - I'd appreciate all the advice you may have.
Pat

H2H1

Re: Visiting National Parks next Fall.

I would think it would take longer than 2 weeks. I took 2 weeks last year to do Flagstaff AZ and the Grand Canyon and it wasn't long enough. This year we are planning 4 weeks to do the badlands and the surrounding sites and states. So good luck on your plan. PS we was in a MH.

utmtman

Yes you need to plan a lil longer than two weeks. Yellowstone alone is a good four or five days or more to see it all. Not having reservations should not be a big problem, I have yet to run into anything anywhere that I could not get into. Good luck and have fun.

Kirk

You are not allowed to just park anywhere in a national park and spend the night. You must be in a campground to stay the night.

You don't define when you mean by in the fall, but once school has begun you probably will not have any problems in finding an available campsite in the parks. Keep in mind that Yellowstone and Grand Teton parks can get snow most any time after mid September and often do. That same thing is true of Rocky Mountain park. You might want to add Devil's Tower Natl. Monument to your list. In addition, not far off of that path would be Custer Battlefield Monument. Ft. Laramie Natl. Historic Site is also a good place for a day. In Colo. there is also Pike's Peak, Grand Mesa, Mesa Verde, Royal Gorge, and several others.

It would be very easy to spend an entire week just in Yellowstone if you see everything. You will have a very full two weeks if you see everything that is in Wyoming and in Colorado.

DL Rupper

Try 4 weeks. Kirk is right, you can't just pull over and park for the night in ANY Natl park (no WalMarts). I would spend the 2 weeks just in Yellowstone if it's your first visit. It will take you 2-3 days travel time each way from Wisconsin.

elkhartjim

Last two weeks in September will be getting pretty cold in Yellowstone. In my opinion, fewer parks and longer stays unless you're into drive by picture taking.

elkhartjim

Last two weeks in September will be getting pretty cold in Yellowstone. In my opinion, fewer parks and longer stays unless you're into drive by picture taking.

elkhartjim

elkhartjim

H2H1

hey Jim you put glue on the finger :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: or just stuttering on the key board. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: anyway glad you are having fun now. so keep it up enjoy your life as you see fit.

G

yea there u go again blame it on me ,,,, oops i do ,, do that kinda stuff ,, don't i?? :) :blush: ,,, but jim ,, hollis taught me how ;) :laugh: :laugh:
Now jim u may have new Emoticon ,, for all of us here ,,, Rod moment ,,, hmmmmm ,, maybe we need one on here ,, any suggestions on what it would do ,, or say ???? ;) :bleh: :cool: :approve:

rjf7g

Come on over here and visit GTS and me. You can do the Blue Ridge Parkway and Shenandoah National Park.

G

Well butch ,, has got one ,, anybody else ,, but be nice ,, i am sensitive to the remarks i get from u guy's :eek: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :evil: :evil: :evil:

offwego_0208

Thank you, all for the responses. I really do appreciate you saying "slow down" - "fewer parks". And I am confident now that finding a campsite will not be a problem. Thanks again --- I'll start narrowing down our plans to one or two parks. Pat

DL Rupper

Have fun and hope you work it all out, but then you have pleanty of time to plan. We usually go spur of the moment, but then we are already on our way to somewhere. ;)

Domingo

Hello everybody. Good to know everyone are still in good spirits and offering sound edvice. I have not had a chance to chat or camp. The weather is keeping me away a little. I agree with all of you. not rush and just take it easy. I like Butch and shirleys idea. BEACH!!!!!!

brodavid

Mountains, Rod comes to the Beach,
JK I told you That I Would Pick on You Rod,
My it is good to be back at the computer

G

Brodave ,, well i do like the mountains ,,, mountains of sand ,, and in the heat of summer ,, nothing like a 100 degree day out in the sun on the beach ,, that is my kinda weather ,, but i won't mention the other mountains that are out on the beach in that weather ;) ;) ;) :bleh: :laugh: