Voltage Reading inside My TT

My ducted ac is out in my TT and an RV tech checked my voltage and says it reads 115. He says that is too low to run an ac. Is he right? Why would the voltage be low and what am I supposed to do about it?

DL Rupper

RE: Voltage Reading inside My TT

Hey downtherabbithole, 115v ac is not too low to run the A/C. 105v's and lower is too low; however, your A/C will still try to run at 105v, but it will be really hard on your compressor. It will draw more current and heat up. Most RV Park voltage runs around 115volts. Not sure why your A/C won't run but it's not your ac voltage at fault if it is actually 115v. Your A/C compressor may have gone out. Does your fan blower work?

Johnny-O

Re: Voltage Reading inside My TT

Hi rabbithole, Don't know where you found this tech, but find another one!! 115V is just fine. As to the AC, that could be any thing from a breaker to a compressor. You don't give much info, such as type of AC, what happens when you turn the switch on (if anything) ect. ect. :cool:

Kirk

Good voltage, bad RV tech.! The shore power voltage should be 120V, +/- 10V. Anything from 110 to 130 is not any problem for anything in your RV. The first thing that I would check is the circuit breaker.

When I switch the ac on, the fan comes on but after just a few seconds the breaker flips.

The tech said the compressor is "locked up". Does that mean it needs a new compressor?

Kirk

If the tech knows what he is doing, probably. But I would take the cover off of the a/c unit and watch it when a helper turns it on just to see what actually happens. Also, you can turn off the power and open the circuit breaker and check for a mechanical bind, manually, but be careful!

s.harrington

The tech may want to check a few items before he replaces the compressor. You could have a short before the compressor or maybe a shorted run/start capacitor. something as simple as a metal data tag touching the wire to the over temp. switch could cause the short. So before you have him pull it have him check it.