Wal-Mart to discriminate against Heterosexuals?

hertig

Wal-Mart has allegedly come out in support of homosexuality in a big way. No matter what we might think of it, not discriminating against homosexuals in any facet of their business is at least understandable and can be considered good business practice.

But there is a claim by AFA that "Also, Wal-Mart will give homosexual-owned businesses special treatment when making purchases." Now this, if true, is a disconcerting development. In this day and age, any form of discrimination is dangerous (legally) and unacceptable (morally). And personally, I refuse to be discriminated against because I'm 'normal' (or at least 'traditional' :).

If someone prefers their own sex, that is their business. If they are willing to play by the same rules as a married couple, I don't mind if they get most of the same benefits. However, this is NOT a marriage, and should not be called a marriage. And I don't think any of the child benefits should apply, since it is less likely that children can get a complete, accurate male/female education in such an environment. But then, neither can kids of 'single parents'. Or for that matter, crummy parents.

If you wish to communicate with Wal-Mart, the contact info is in the previous (Christmas) Wal-Mart post.

TexasClodhopper

Re: Wal-Mart to discriminate against Heterosexuals?

Good grief! I thought this was an RV forum? Just because you say 'WalMart' doesn't make your post about RVing.

DL Rupper

RE: Wal-Mart to discriminate against Heterosexuals?

I don't think I'd better get started on another Wal-Mart thread. As long as they keep their prices low I'm happy :laugh: They do sell RV parts/supplies so I guess it qualifies.

If you really want me to, I'll tell you what I really think.

TexasClodhopper

Now, it is totally up to everyone that lurks on this forum, and I'm not trying to be a jerk. For me, personally, I get on here to avoid the real world as much as I can. RVing is an escape to me. I suspect it is for a lot of you folks, too. I know, I know. It ain't a perfect world.

If we don't restrain ourselves and limit our posts to the myriad of RV topics at hand, then we'll end up with some other kind of forum (for which there are plenty already.) I'd like to 'get started' on some of these subjects (and I have a time or two), but I'm afraid that after awhile this forum will start looking like all of the rest that I've seen.

That makes an impression on all of the new 'talent' that visits here with us. Pretty soon we'll all just be yelling at each other about WalMart politics.

Like I said, it ain't up to me. I'm just giving my opinion.

Grandview Trailer Sa

I got a similar e-mail this morning that John is talking about. All I am going to say is that Wal-Mart today is NOT what Sam Walton started. I have to wonder what he would think.

rlmurraysr59

And I got all dressed up in my little black dress and my 4" heels to take my first shopping trip to Wal-mart. Now I am so excited that I will get an additional discount. Will it never Stop?

Troyster

Now, if WalMart had announced that effective immediate;ly they would be discriminating against people who drove Ford trucks, or pulled travel trailer instead of fifth wheels, or used gas instead of diesle, then this would be a relevant issue. But unless someone can show me the link between sexual orientation and RV's (maybe it really is all about size, who knows) then It's a non-issue for me.

On the issue of businesses who discriminate though:

I drive a 2005 Ford F150 and pull a 1995 Gulfstream travel trailer. It's not brand new, but it's in pretty good shape, and I keep it clean and looking good, so I was caught a bit off guard, when looking for a campground for this weekend to find a place that doesnt allow trailers more than 10 years old.

For my money, I'd prefer dropping the trailer age restriction and adding a guest age restriction, maybe no kids under 16? Needless to say, even when I do get a newer rig, (and that's still a few years down the road, when the truck is paid for, I know one place where I won't be going!

Has anyone else run across this? Is it common, or was it just an elitist fluke?

I find discrimination of this sort more disturbing than who does what to whom in the privacy of their own bedroom.

DL Rupper

The elitist practice of limiting RV's to no older than 10 years is mostly limited to exclusive snownbird or vaction areas. Iv'e run into it a time or two. We keep our "95" HitchHiker in good shape, so I usally lie and tell them it's newer than it is, if I really want to stay in their uppity park. The TrailerLife Campground Directive will usally list the 10 year requirement in the listing for that campground. That way they can cater to the uppities that think they are too good for the ordinary folks. However, the listing also lets you avoid going there. I take exception with motorhome only parks, but they don't seem care. :eek:

ARCHER

Yes, I've encountered it when looking for a place to stay, but I just don't worry about it. I take good care of my ole 89 Chieftain, so as long as it takes care of us, who cares. There are lots of parks out there that dont' worry about how old your unit is. Those that do, are usually run by the big corporations that want to charge the extra bucks (they know the newer the unit is, the more money the people usually have.....boy are they wrong). ;) :bleh:

rlmurraysr59

Amen, Archer. There is an advantage to buying a new rig, usually in interest rate, but then you have length of payments too. So having more money doesn't alway coincide with the age of the rig. It would be kinda funny though to check out their facilities and if they don't come up to snuff to send a picture and little note to Trailer Life Directory. Definitely would be hypocritical if they didn't allow older rigs and their bathrooms and shower facilities were dirty and out of date.

Cynical Me!

DL Rupper

Don't much care about all the little problems with Wal-Mart. Just paid $2.25 /gallon for regular gas today in Dayton, Oh, at the Wal-Mart station. Love them. Too bad diesel fuel won't come down. It's $2.84/gallon at the same station. :dead: