Walmart Camping

buffs94

I just bought my first RV and have noticed a few things lately. This Walmart by my house seems very RV-friendly. There's been this RV parked there for almost a month now. The guy even has his car parked right next to the RV. I've driven by and have seen people inside the RV too! I was wondering is this common? The RV must be 35 years old too and not the best looking RV I've ever seen. I suppose Walmart is cool as long as you don't abuse their parking lot.

C Nash

Walmart Camping

Maybe he is security. I saw one in Canada that was a security guard for walmart and he had an older camper and stayed on the parking lot.

Kirk

Walmart Camping

While he may be security, he may well also be a squatter. We saw that same thing in Salinas, CA the two winters that we spent in that area. RV parks there are very few and very expensive. The local Wal Mart manager was reluctant to chase them out, even though some of us felt that they should. There were those who would leave for a while and come back, but others would just stay there for a month or more. I talked with the manager about it one day and told her that I felt that a week was more than generous and that it concerned me that it could cause that privilage to go away. She was interested but not really concerned about it as long as they didn't create a problem for customers or a shortage of parking.

Fulltimin

Walmart Camping

:disapprove: I am going to put myself behind the :8ball: with this post but I am a firm believer that if you can afford to own an RV, be it a new or used Class A, B or C, a TT, a 5er or what ever, than you can da&n well afford to stay in a campground. If you are too cheap or can't afford a campground than you should never have bought an rv in the first place. In my book anyone overnighting in a WalMart or any store or restaurant parking lot is a squatter. And hiway rest areas should be used to "rest" not for overnighting. Save the rest areas and truck stops for the truckers. These folks have to be out there for a living.
The rvers excuse of having been on the road all day and just stopping for a rest is bogus. You should have planned your route ahead of time. You know your destination and you should know the required travel time to get there and allowing additional time for unexpected delays should all be part of anyone's travel plans. As there are campgrounds at most all Interstate exits there is no need to be staying over in a WalMart parking lot. Unless of course your are too cheap to spend the bucks on a campground.
These cheap "you know whats" also give rvers a bad name. More than once I have heard non-rvers refer to the owners of rigs sitting in a WalMart parkig lot as Trailer Trash. This occured to me and I had only pulled in to stock up on supplies. I confronted the individual and he explained that the community was tired of these "free loading trailer trash" (his words not mine) and that the local government was about to pass an ordinance disallowing overnight rv's on any parking lot. I explained that I sympathized with them and felt that all governing bodies should pass such ordinances. I also mentioned that I was only stocking up and would be leaving shortly. He than apologized to me but not to the four rigs that were apparently there for a night or more. If you can't afford a campground or are too cheap to pay for a site than sell the rig.
In all the time I have been hauling a 5er around I have never found a reason for overnighting in some parking lot, truck stop or rest area.

Now as is the custom, Let the FLAMES begin.

They always do when some one disagrees with the WalMart freeloaders.

bajadudes

Walmart Camping

I think some sort of 24 or 48 hour rule would be fair. With all due respect there could be extenuating circumsatnces that would require the courtesy like a break down, lost credit cards or any number of possibilities that may make it necessary to stop briefly at a location other than a campground . I have never been a fan of iron clad rules with no exceptions. Otherwise I agree with all of fulltimers points

hertig

Walmart Camping

I guess I'll have to sell my RV then. Yes, I'll plan where I stay when I reach my destination, but between place A and place B I go as far as practical and then consider where to stay. I realise that this is incredibly lazy and unorganized of me, especially since every guide to parks is always accurate, and no place ever goes out of business or changes their prices/policies/etc.

Unfortunately, my religion does not allow me to drive 10 miles out of my way to reach a park, or pay $30 for a 6 to 8 hour stop without using any amenties. Also, I tend to start looking for a place well after dark, when many are closed, as I do my best driving in the late afternoon and evening.

I've never stayed at a WalMart, but often have stayed in a rest stop. Since I've not contributed anything to the building or upkeep of such stops, obviously this is an entirely unreasonable thing for me to do. Also, my primary goal in life is to avoid offending upstanding and intelligent people such as yourself.

No, wait. I have to honor my mother and father by visiting them at least once per year. Looks like my only option is to drive straight through. Please keep out of my way, as it would be highly ironic if it was you I slammed into after falling asleep at 2am... Never mind, you will have been safely stopped at your prearranged park for many hours by then, and I'm sure all your friends and family are similarly honorable and organized.

C Nash

Walmart Camping

Agree with you John. Guess I just fall into the poor trailer trash that pulls into a free spot to spend a few hours and save 30 bucks. Terrible to not belong to the elite rich crowd. Bad to live an unorginezed life like ours and not know where we are going to be tomorrow night. Sure am sorry fulltimin for giving you a bad name. All the people we have met at wal mart, flying J and even beside the roads going to Alaska were great people. No I don't agree with those that abuse the privilage of wal mart and tr stops free parking and I guess all those truckers parked beside the roads are trucker trash and should be in motels. I just never can agree with anyone that will trash other people because they don,t agree with them. Have you ever walked up to one of the trailer trash campers and called them that to their face. Try it sometimes

ARCHER

Walmart Camping

Some ought to just sell their rig and get out of what is a very frustrating lifestyle (fulltimin and janlarmi). Then they could stay off this web site and not have to be confronoted with such STRESS. :8ball:

trlrboy

Walmart Camping

To the trailer trash that will soon be selling their rigs:

Drop me a line when you sell it. I'll drive over the the local Walmart to check it out. Thanks a lot.

Kirk

Walmart Camping

quote:More than once I have heard non-rvers refer to the owners of rigs sitting in a WalMart parkig lot as Trailer Trash. This occured to me and I had only pulled in to stock up on supplies. I confronted the individual and he explained that the community was tired of these "free loading trailer trash" (his words not mine) and that the local government was about to pass an ordinance disallowing overnight rv's on any parking lot. I explained that I sympathized with them and felt that all governing bodies should pass such ordinances. I also mentioned that I was only stocking up and would be leaving shortly. He than apologized to me but not to the four rigs that were apparently there for a night or more. If you can't afford a campground or are too cheap to pay for a site than sell the rig.
Fulltimin

Luckily for you, not one of us have yet been forced to spend a night in a location that you don't think we should! I strongly suggest that you never stay in one of those locations. But your story is pure BS. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but we have been RVers for 30+ years and fulltimers for almost 5 years and we do shop at Wal Mart and yet we have never heard what you claim to have heard, except from you. There are valid arguments for both sides of this issue, but faked stories have no place in it. I might have believed it had you said it happend once, as I am well aware that some folks have less than flattering names for those of us who choose to be fulltime, but when you make it repetitive becomes obvious as a fabrication.

I would agree that the privilage extended to us by stores like Wal Mart is at times abused, just as any other privilage tends to be. But if you are an RVer, which I suspect you aren't, you would know that RV owners come from all economic circumstances and not just the financially secure. The beauty of RV life, and of American citizenship is that we can do pretty much what we wish, even when those who wish all of us to conform to rules they make don't like it. I would suggest that you look away when you see things that displease you as the high blood pressure you display will one day, kill you.

While it isn't a right of any of us to just park wherever we wish, it is the right of a property owner to allow us to do so. I have no doubt that there are things that you do which I would disagree with, but I won't try and force you to conform, nor will I help you to make others conform with your wishes. It is a total waste to debate this issue as none of us will change our view anyway. And by the way, I almost never stay outside of an RV park!

Fulltimin

Walmart Camping

As I said...quote:Now as is the custom, Let the FLAMES begin.
They always do when some one disagrees with the WalMart freeloaders
And the flames did in fact begin but it went all the way to Kirk for someone to call me a liar. I expected many different names but Liar, that I did not expect.
quote:But your story is pure BS. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but we have been RVers for 30+ years and fulltimers for almost 5 years and we do shop at Wal Mart and yet we have never heard what you claim to have heard, except from you.
Well Mr Kirk (funny how it rhymes with JERK) call me what you want but it happened on at least 3 occasions. The first time was about 2 years ago somewhere in New York. Not sure of the exact place or time because it didn't bother me. But than it occured at a WalMart just outside of Ann Arbor, Michigan in June 2004 and again in September 2004 at a WalMart near Harrisburg, Penna. At the Harrisburg WalMart there were at least 8 RVs at the time. This time frame also coincided with the RV show in Harrisburg. Some of you may feel that this was the reason for all the RVs at that one location. But had anyone of them taken the time they would have found ample space at the RV show parking area for a very small fee. My DW just reminded me that we didn't have the 5er hooked up as we went to the WalMart after checking into a campground. The conversation started when the folks parked next to us noticed the hitch in our TV and inquired as to which RV was ours as they pointed off toward the RVs at the end of the lot. It was after we told them we were in a campground when they referred to the rest as "trailer trash".

quote:But if you are an RVer, which I suspect you aren't, you would know that RV owners come from all economic circumstances and not just the financially secure.
Once again you call me a liar. I looked at your profile and noticed that you and I are the same age, we are both as you put it "very married", male and retired, fulltime RVer. You do have me on the RV time as we have only been RVing for 24 years next month. We have owned 2 TT, 1 MH and 2 5th wheels and have been fulltiming since June of 2001. You are apparently an Escapee with a Livingston TX address where we chose Florida for our home base. Maybe I should warn you that by next year at this time we will also be having our snail mail addressed to Livingstone.

Yes we all do come from all economic circumstances and not just the financially secure but in my opinion if you can afford to buy the equipment of an RVer than you should be able to afford the financial responsibilities that go with the RV lifestyle and that includes campground fees.

quote:It is a total waste to debate this issue as none of us will change our view anyway.
I agree wholeheartedly and the only reason I responded was to set the record straight.
I am not a liar and you probably ain't a Jerk.

And by the way..I was impressed with your website.