Waste tank volumes and sensors???

sp

Hi Everyone,

Any ideas on how I can tell what capacity my waste tanks are? As most of you know, it is a 76 prowler - 24'.

Also, I see that newer models have a sensor telling how full each of the tanks are. Any way to retro fit the old dogs so I don't have to guess all the time?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Steve

Steve

This may take a little time but I can tell ya how I load my fresh water for the road.

If I know I will be headin to a campground I only take enough water for the day. To determine how much I am takeing on this is what I do.

I marked a bucket to one gallon. Then I take my garden hose and check how long it takes to fill a gallon. In my case it's 11 seconds. I then run the hose for the amount of time it takes to put on the water I want. In you case you could fill what ever tank you want to determin the volume by how long it takes to fill er.

Steve

This may take a little time but I can tell ya how I load my fresh water for the road.

If I know I will be headin to a campground I only take enough water for the day. To determine how much I am takeing on this is what I do.

I marked a bucket to one gallon. Then I take my garden hose and check how long it takes to fill a gallon. In my case it's 11 seconds. I then run the hose for the amount of time it takes to put on the water I want. In you case you could fill what ever tank you want to determin the volume by how long it takes to fill er.

Steve

hertig

As far as adding sensors, you can buy and install a set, but drilling holes in any tank containing liquids would give me the screaming willies. There is allegedly a company or two which offers external sensors, which are supposed to be more accurate and reliable to boot.

Gary B

Hi Steve, if you can measure the tanks, then heres the formula to get close length X width X height divided by 231 + gallons IE: a tanks 30" X 24" X 9" = 6480 / 231 = 28 gals or very close. As for the level sensors, as John said if you can get the ones that work on the outside of the tanks ok, but I sure would not drill into the tanks to install. Camping World used to sell the monitor system that read from the outside of the tanks. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: :approve:

There is a new external sensor product called Sensa Tank for sale on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=26449&item=2425030167

quote:Originally posted by sp

Hi Everyone,

Any ideas on how I can tell what capacity my waste tanks are? As most of you know, it is a 76 prowler - 24'.

Also, I see that newer models have a sensor telling how full each of the tanks are. Any way to retro fit the old dogs so I don't have to guess all the time?

Steve

quote:Originally posted by sp

Hi Everyone,

Steve

sp

Thanks to everyone: I like the monitor system on ebay. I saw something like that in the big RV parts book. I just don't have the extra $ at the moment. I'll use Garys formular to figure out the volumes for now.

Drilling into the top of a waste tank could be a sh*** job. :eek:
I'll pass on that one. ;)

Steve

sp

Gary,

Repost your last message. It looks like it got cut during site clean up. For some reason I posted a message yesterday and it showed up 3 times. I assume they cleaned up all the extras.

Steve