water heater and refrig. wont start on gas

fordman

i have a 96 coachman and we went camping this past weekend and i cannot get the water heater or frig. to light on gas using the battery. work ok on electric. the campground we were at did have a transformer blow while we were there could this have damaged my unit

DL Rupper

RE: water heater and refrig. wont start on gas

Sounds more like a problem with your propane system. Have you checked your propane regulator for proper pressure? Did you look too see if you were getting a spark when the battery attempted to light the fridg?

fordman

my furnace will light ok and i can light the water heater and frig. manually

DL Rupper

I believe your furnace uses 12 v battery power to ignite. Therefore, that leaves the problem with the 12v igniters on the waterheater and fridge. Check and make sure the igniter gap is set correctly on both appliances. Take off the outside rear shield to the fridge and observe if you get a click & a spark when the gas control switch on the fridge is turned on. It sounds like a problem with the igniter/gap, ground, fuse or control board. If your 12v lights work in the RV, I doubt if the RV Campground power problem impacted your RV. A power surge would more than likely cause problems in you 115v A/C circuits.