Water Heater Bypass

Pioneer

We had a bypass installed on the water heater when we winterized this year. Now we cannot seem to get hot water in any of the sinks or the tub. There is hot water in the tank and the pilot lights. How do we get it flowing through the coach again?

DL Rupper

Re: Water Heater Bypass

Hey Pioneer, welcome to the forum. You should have a lever/switch where they installed the bypass kit. Throw/switch it in the other direction.

G

turn both of them ,, one is for u'r main hot water ,, and the other is for u'r bypass ,, see if this helps ;) :approve:

DL Rupper

Hey Pioneer, Rod (730) is a RV technician so turn them both. I only have 1 lever on my RV bypass. Hope that fixes your problem. :)

G

watch u'r language DL ,, who u calling an rv tech ,, i don't even know the difference from a black tank to a gray tank ,, i still crawl under to look and see if they are indeed colored that way :eek: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :clown: :clown: :clown: :evil: :evil: :blush:
DL ,, i was posting that most rv's (mine included ) have a vlave for the bypass (aftermarket installed) and also a main WH valve ,, but some other rv's may be different ,, i myself found out about the second valve ,, which i did not know i had ,, till the Water was warm but not hot ,, but the tank was hot ,, do did some poking ,, and ,, yep anouther valve ,, i look around on other rv's that i service for this type of thingy ,, and ,, yes i have found more than a few out there ,, this comes from my personal stupidity ,, so chalk it up to rv learning 101 ,,, :blush: :laugh: :laugh: ;) :approve: :approve:

G

what type uses 3 valves ,, Ken ,, i have never seen 3 ,,, unless u mean the water dump valves

G

Pioneer ,, did u get hot water yet?? should like to know for all of us
:approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :) :)

elkhartjim

RE: Water Heater Bypass

I believe even after owning these things 10 years we'll find a valve, switch, fuse, etc that we never knew was there.
icon_smile_question.gif
icon_smile_question.gif
icon_smile_shock.gif
I still haven't found my antennae amplifier
icon_smile_question.gif
and the cable to pull to drain the air tank.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Rod, my trailers have 3 valves. That way you don't need a check valve that could go bad.
The systems with one valve will have a check valve in the top entrance to the tank. That check valve is how one valve can work.

In a 3 valve system, you have a valve in the top and bottom water lines that feed the tank. Then you have a cross tube, before the other valves, with the 3rd valve in it. During summer usage the cross tube valve is closed and the other 2 are open. that forces water through the heater. When you winterize, close the top and bottom valves and open the cross valve. That lets anti freeze by-pass the water heater.

I like that system better because I have changed a few check valves and it is not fun.

DL Rupper

My system must be a check valve type. It stopped working a few years back. It is clamped on the plastic tubing so I haven't ever replaced it.

G

WOW ,, Ken can u put that in english or brale ,, i am over whelmed ,, and to think computers are just now taking over the engine controls on rv's and cars ,, but my question is ,,,, where do u put the floppy disk ?????? :eek: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :evil: :clown: :clown: :clown: :evil:

elkhartjim

I went and checked...I've got three valves...is that a plus or is that just something else togo wrong?

G

well talked to ken ,, earlyer ,, and as of yet i have not seen 3 valves ,, but he told me one should be the back flow preventer ,, so now i too have learned something new ,, and to think we are still in the 1980's :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :blush: :evil: :clown:

Grandview Trailer Sa

Rod,
If you have 3 valves, you do not have a check valve (back flow preventer). One valve, you have the check valve in the top water line. Two valves, I have seen with and without the check valve.

Grandview Trailer Sa

I was trying toattach a picture of the back of a waterheat with 3 valves shown.

Icould not getitattach here. I was able to loadit in my album under the "Album" link at the top. Go there, click on Grandviews album and you will find it.