Water heater gas control ????

sp

I've got two old hot water heaters (Bowen and American Appliance) and was wondering if the gas controlers are interchangeable? The inlet and outlets are in the same place but the fittings are different. One has the inverted flare type and the other is pipe thread. Do they make adapters? Is it to dangerous to play with propane?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Steve :question:

C Nash

But, after looking at some of your work at your other post think you could probably do it Steve :)

Gary B

Hi sp, yes it can be dangerous, but if you are careful and double check for leaks etc it can be done, yes adapters should be available. The controls should work in either, what is the problem with the gas contol? :)

sp

Hi Gary,

Here is what I can figure not knowing too much about them. Please let me know what you think.

Unitrol Controller:
It ignites fine but I can't keep a constant blue flame.
I've tried to adjust the airflow but it won't stay smooth.
The 10 gallons of water won't heat past luke warm and that takes hours.

ITT Controller
It ignites fine and keeps a constant blue flame. The 6.5 gallons is scalding hot in 10 minutes.

The new Unitrol is over $100 bucks. You never know what you'll get for the whole Bowen 6.5 gallon on Ebay, even though it works great. So I figured I'd pull that controller and use it on the other.

Thanks,
Steve :cool:

Gary B

Hi Steve, did you clean the gas orfice on the Unitrol unit, there is a thermostat lever some where on the unit to adjust the temp, if you move that when the unit is cold you should have hear a click thus turning the gas on, if you don't hear a click the gas control is bad. Did you remove the flame tube and clean it real good, spiders like to make a nest in the flame tube, and that will really mess things up. I take it you want to use the 10 gal unit, otherwise it isn't very hard to remove the bad unit and install the 6 gallon one. Good luck :)

sp

Gary,

I here the "click" but it makes noise when I turn it.
Is the orifice you are talking about the inlet, outlet, or the jet which sprays the propane into the flame tube?
I cleaned the flame tube right off the bat.
The 10 is much bigger than the 5 so I'd have to frame a little and then piece in the siding.

I just have to make up my mind on the new controller or body work. The adapters are a no go per order of my mechanic,millright,pipe fitter friend.

Thanks Again,
Steve

WildWilly

Hi SP

The adapters you seek are available at most rv dealers. Some inexperienced parts guys may need a little proding to find them though

I have doubts the gas control has failed, though. It could be worth the price to let a trained tech take a look at it.

Wild Willy

If it ain't broke...
It will be!

rorannerusan

Hello there I saw this topic and am wanting to know if anyone knows how to clean a unitrol hot water heater? I own 1977 dodge lazydaze rv. The hot water heater worked before i went on my trip. but now all I get is a straight yellow flame and it sounds like it is getting too much gas and won't adjust. I hear the click but it sounds like somebody lit a torch at full bore. I can get the pilot light or straight non adjustable torchy flame.
Thanx Lee

rorannerusan

Hello there I saw this topic and am wanting to know if anyone knows how to clean a unitrol hot water heater? I own 1977 dodge lazydaze rv. The hot water heater worked before i went on my trip. but now all I get is a straight yellow flame and it sounds like it is getting too much gas and won't adjust. I hear the click but it sounds like somebody lit a torch at full bore. I can get the pilot light or straight non adjustable torchy flame.
Thanx Lee

Ed H.

I have to second the motion to have someone who knows what he's doing look at it. They make those oddball connectors for a reason...so the parts only fit what they will work on.
For what it's worth, I would think the burner needs cleaning, but without seeing it, can't say for sure.