WATER HEATER MANUFACT

ARCHER

I have an Atwood water heater and I need to do some work on it. While in Florida over winter it basically stopped working. The flame seemed to cut out (was on but popped like it was gas starved) and now it won't flame up at all, and seems to not be getting any LP. The ignitor works (click, click, click....) but no flame. I think it is the regulator/solonoid that has gone bad on the gas control unit and was told you can't buy just the solonoid (sp??) and have to buy the entire unit. Anyone know where I can get them the cheapest? Anyone know what the Atwood web site is that I might be able to order it direct from them?
Suggestions???
tks in advance
:) :)

Gary B

WATER HEATER MANUFACT

HI Archer, is this a DSI / electronic ignition model? Have you cleaned the burner tube assy really good, the electric solinoids due fail but not often. Do you know is there 12 VDC going to the gas valve solinoid, if not it maybe that the ECO has failed that the little button device on the left as your looking at the heater, has a red wire connected to it from CB and going to the gas control valve. You can try these folks at DTI 1-800-289-0919 for parts not sure if they sell to individuals or not. Regular price of a gas valve is about $118.00. If I can remeber tommorom I'll look up some #'s of places that may have parts. :) :cool: :bleh: :approve:
PS: I was just checking E-Bay and heres what you may need: its item # 2415974695 it atwood water heater parts, go to e-bay and seach the item #.

ARCHER

WATER HEATER MANUFACT

Hi Gary,
Yes, it is the electronic type ingnition. I cleaned the ports really good. I'm pretty sure it is getting power to the solonoid, so my guess is the unit might be bad. Thanks for the help/guidance and direction to sites. Nothing is easy or cheap when fixing problems on a motorhome, is it? I did have the computer control unit replaced last year before I left for Florida and it is clicking when I try to start it, so it is trying to light (I think).
Regards
Archer

Gary B

WATER HEATER MANUFACT

Hi Archer, before you replace the gas control assy, make sure its not a bad ECO/the little round buttom type unit that is attached to the tank in front with the red wires, you can remove the wires from the ECO and jumper then togater for a test, if the WH ignites then its the ECO if not then it the gas contol assy. Good like and yes having fun cost us!!! :) :bleh: :approve:

ARCHER

WATER HEATER MANUFACT

Thanks, Gary.
I'll check it out and let you know what the results are. I sure do appreciate the help and guidance. I do have another question. The ECO button you spoke about the check .... can I get to it without removing anything? I can't see my tank from the access area where the gas control and burner is....I do see red wires. A little more help please.
tks

ARCHER

WATER HEATER MANUFACT

Gary, thanks again. I'll check it out and let you know what I find out.
I do need some more guidance on the ECO button and where it is located again. Sorry, I'm a little slow. I can't see my tank from the access area...only the gas control unit, the drain, the wires to the control power panel ( the one I had replaced last fall) and the pressure relief valve. The tank is behind the wall.
Is the ECO button / valve accessible without removing the tank or wall to get to the tank?
tks

ARCHER

WATER HEATER MANUFACT

Gary, thanks again. I'll check it out and let you know what I find out.
I do need some more guidance on the ECO button/valve and where it is located again. Sorry, I'm a little slow. I can't see my tank from the access area...only the gas control unit, the drain, the wires to the control power panel ( the one I had replaced last fall) and the pressure relief valve. The tank is behind the wall. I can see red, green and brown wires that go from the gas control unit to what looks like a buss and also to the board.
Is the ECO button / valve accessable without removing the tank or wall to get to the tank?
tks

Gary B

WATER HEATER MANUFACT

The ECO is right in front kind of in the middle of the water heater, the circuit board is located in the upper right hand coner, it will have a slide on connector attache to the upper left side coming from that is the red wire going to the ECO right next to the ECO is the thermostat just to the right both are covered with foam, the thermostat will have a brown wire attached to it. Sorry for the confusion you don't have to get to the actual tank, under the foam cover the two are attached by springs and are in contact with the tank. Hope this helps if not keep asking maybe I'll get it right, they really aren't that conpicated once you get the idea of how they work. :bleh: :approve:

ARCHER

WATER HEATER MANUFACT

Gary B,
I found it. Have not tested yet, but plan on doing so tomorrow. If I need to replace it, how do you get it out to replace? Does it just screw in?
I really apprecite the help. :) :) :shy:

Gary B

WATER HEATER MANUFACT

Hi, they are real easy to remove just remove the foam and they turn about a quarter turn and come out, nothing to it, there is a spring to hold them against the tank. :cool: :bleh: :approve: