Water Heater

ARCHER

I run my LP for fridge while on the road, however, I turn off my LP water heater using the switch for water heater. This spring on the way home, I noticed that after I had driven for the day (about 8-9 hours) and stopped for the night, that my hot water tank was still completely hot, like it had been heating while driving, even though the switch was turned off. Is this normal? When I stopped for the night and hooked up water, sewer, electric, I turned on the switch for hot water tank, but it was already hot, so no pre-light came on (it normally lights for a second or two and then goes out, if hot water tank lights properly). It is an Atwood 6 gal, LP only, water heater. I thought it would be cool by the end of the day, but it was still really hot.
Just need to determine if I should have maybe unplugged the ECO as well as turning off the switch. Sorry , if I got a little windy... :laugh:

Browzin

Water Heater

Archer
You didn't mention what type Atwood water heater you have. Mine in my MH, is a motor assist heating type. The vehicle engine coolant is circulated through a coil inside the water tank and heats the water as you drive. When you get to your destination you have hot water!
Just wonder if you have the same type.

Krazeehorse

Water Heater

My old wienerbeagle is like Browzin's Archer. We have hot water from engine coolant circulating in a coil at the water heater.

ARCHER

Water Heater

I didn't think I had one of those kinds that cirulates the engine coolant to heat it (the hot water tank). The owner's manual doesn't say anything about it. I'll check it out. You all may be correct. I'll let ya know. If I don't have the coolant circulation, than I guess I am back to square one on why it heats while driving, when switch is turned off. tks for the ideas/tips... ;)

s.harrington

Water Heater

check your model # on your water heater. If it starts with GH6 or GH10 it has a heat exchanger. If it starts with GC and you were running down the road with your inverter (if equipped) on, it was possibly running on AC power. If it starts with GCH it could have been both.