water heater

cher

i have 03 itasca spirit. need to know how to tell if the hot water heater can be used with electricity as well as propane. i understand there will some kind of switch--where??? also, husband says water heater completely drains when all water facets are opened--true?? if not, how do we drain?

Re: water heater

It does not drain with the fausets. There is a drain plug inside the door on the outside of the camper. The switch could be anywhere. Bathroom, kitchen most common. If you get the model off the heater a dealer or the maker of the heater could tell you.
Good Luck

Hello and welcome to the forum.

If your water heater is Atwood and electric, your switch should be next to the gas switch. If you have a Surburban, the electric switch is outside on the water heater's lower left corner inside the access door. You will see an "on/off" switch and that is the elec. Sometimes manufactures will wire a switch inside also. I do not know if yours is like that or not.

IF you have a control that has a pilot control on it, you don't have elec. in your heater.

Kirk

Two good answers, but I would add just a little more. Many owners have installed an after-market electric element and if so that will be found in the drain hole inside of the door to the water heater and in the place where a drain plug would be. If it is there it will have two wires to it, and somewhere a switch to control it.

On draining the water heater will also depend to some extent upon which make you have. If it is an Atwood it should be a 9/16" drain plug made of either plastic or brass. If you have a Suburban it should be of steel and it will usually have an anode rod on the inside of the drain plug which needs replacement from time to time.

Atwood water heater have an on-off switch on a metal box on the backside of the waterheater(inside the rig). The Suburban waterheater has an on-off switch on the front of the waterheater(outside) below the gas valve. There is also a breaker marked waterheater in the breaker box if it is factory installed. Many manufacturers will also put a wall switch somewhere in the trailer usually next to the kitchen sink (but I have seen them in the ceiling over the sink area).