Water hose taste

HZMTLT

How do I get rid of the hose taste when using water from sinks in my T/T? Also, do I need to use the camper friendly TP in the toilet?

Thanks

Bob

Dodge Ram 1500 02'
SunRay Smokey 28' 07'

dennis1949

Re: Water hose taste

we bought a water filter that took the taste out. Also you can run hot water thru it which will help. Need to use tp that is septic tank approved. Hope this helps you

H2H1

Hi Bob, first I need to know if you are using a regular garden hose, if so that some of your problem. get you a hose that is made for camper, Walmart sell the as well camper world. Now as for as the TP, I would only use the one ply as it dissolve much faster. if you the others you are setting your self up for future problems. IMHP

DL Rupper

Use a RV white hose. No taste. Green garden hoses just don't work. ;) Go to a RV store for the white hose or get it at Wal-mart. Personally I don't like the brand Wal-mart carries, they leak, but at least the water doesn't taste bad. The white hose that has big flanges on the female connector works best.

hertig

Read the fine print. 'Garden' hoses are NOT rated for drinking water (most say not to drink from them). This is because most of the hoses are made with, get this, harmful chemicals. Only a hose rated for drinking water (most of these are white) should be used to for any water which might be used for drinking or cooking.

And even with a white hose, a filter prior to the RV is a good idea. Keeps the particulates and some other stuff out of your system.

brodavid

If you do not use a filter you might get something that will CLEAN out your system.

rjf7g

If you get one of the blue filters from Wal-Mart, make sure you run water through it first as the directions indicate. There's some junk in there you don't want to put in to your camper! Also, when you store your white hose, get as much water out of it as possible (gravity helps) and connect it back to itself so nothing can get in it.

Buckeye Chuck

I agree with hertig on this. Use a hose that is safe for drinking water. Not only does it not leave a taste but doesn't contain lead or other contaminates that are found in some garden hoses and their connectors . The packaging that he hose comes in will state somewhere that it is safe for drinking. That said, I remember drinking from a garden hose many times when I was growing up and doing lots if stuff that they warn us about today. Wonder how I lived so long.

I use Scott's single ply TP.
-BC-

krautdog

RE: Water hose taste

I use the white hose for my trailer and while it doesn't have the "garden hose" taste, the flavor is still a bit off. When we head off to our camper for the weekend, I always fill up a jug of water at home and bring that with us to drink, we use the campsite water mostly for cooking or cleaning. I personally feel the safest bet is to skip the water completely and bring some quality beer but, then again, I may be a bit prejudiced as beer is my business.
As far as the TP goes, I use the RV stuff, a four pack is like $2.50 at the local RV store.

Cheers!

hertig

BC, i'll bet the hoses you used as a kid were not made with the cheap, harmful chemicals today's hoses are made of...

Buckeye Chuck

hertig,

Probably not. Heck, they may have actually been made of rubber. It was back in the early 50s. I'm not sure when manufactures stopped using real rubber.

-BC-

PattieAM

Using a white potable water hose (Walmart cheapest) is probably your best bet and recommended by most RV'ers. In addition, (myself included) many use the blue water filters on their hoses (available at Walmart < $25.00)) to eliminate yucky taste, sediment, etc.

Also recommended for your water system is a pressure regulator.

If you utilize your onboard water tank, you might need to sanitize it if you are getting a nasty taste/odor.

DL Rupper

The Wal-Mart hoses are the cheapest, but don't last very long. The RV hoses with the big grip flanges on the female connector last forever and don't leak (unknown brand). They are harder to find. I don't think Camping World or Wal-Mart carry them. When I come across them at RV parts stores, I always buy one for a spare.

The blue filters from Wal-Mart (Camco) will crack from high water pressure. They don't produce high enough water pressure when a water regulator is being used. The orange and white in-line water filter sold at Camping World is better. They have a brass hose connector. They also last about 1 year. They cost a little more than the blue plastic ones, but are worth it. The blue ones are 3 month filters. I finally gave up on the blue ones after spending $$ on them and then having them crack at the connector.

utmtman

We use scott, angel soft, or cottonelle, all three seem compatible with most all rv tanks. There was a long discussion about this on another forum last year and this is what they came up with and I have used all of them since and concur, most often we use the scott double rolls.