WATER LEAK

ARCHER

Ok everyone, I have a small issue that I need some guidance on. Each spring I park the MH and it sits there for about 6 months until I am getting ready to head back South. For the last two falls, when I fire it up and drive it down my driveway (downhill drop of about 10 feet), I get about a cup or so of water draining from between the ceiling front cover to the inside of my front windshield. It actually runs down the inside of the windshield and onto the dash area. It only does it once and than that's it, no more water (I hope). I have sealed my roof with Plas-T-Coat and know of no place water could enter between the roof and the inside, except for possibly two areas.....(1) exhaust area for refrigerator and (2) around the base of the A/C unit. Any ideas team??

Krazeehorse

WATER LEAK

I don't think it's moving too far across your ceiling or you would see water damage, wouldn't you? Any chance it's condensation? I would think if it was leaking in it would accumulate more than that and show signs where it's coming in. One other thought. Have you poured a cup of water down the outside to see if that's how much water it is? Sometimes a well placed tablespoon of liquid seems like a quart. Good luck and keep us posted.

Shadow

WATER LEAK

Could it be the windshield seal? My 92 Ford will leak if I park it on an angle in my drive. Won't leak in a driving rain if it's not parked at that angle. Do you have running lights on the roof?

Krazeehorse

WATER LEAK

Good call Shadow...I bet he has about 4 quarter cup running lights up there :laugh: . Your explanation sounds likely to me.

ARCHER

WATER LEAK

Yes, I have running lights at the top of the front and thought they were sealed pretty good, but will check it out. The MH was open (windows) all summer so it stayed pretty aired out and not inclosed for producing moisture. Nobody said anything about the seal around the A/C unit???? I guess if it was the seal, it would be leaking in around the inside part of the A/C unit, right?? The motorhome was parked at an angle sloping front to rear so lots of heavy rain went down the top to the back and along the awning trough to rear. Why would it only leak inside when I am headed down the driveway (sloping from back to front) and not all the time in rain??? Thanks for the ideas and keep them coming. Leaving for Texas in about two weeks, so want to get this fixed soonest. By the way, I have not seen any water marks/damage inside around the ceiling, but will look closely again. Kind of weird, as it will only do this "once" right after I move the RV to the down slope and the water actually seems to pour in between the top of the front windshield and the inside ceiling (between the front storage areas)....hope I am explaining this clearly where the water is coming in at..../ :dead:

Shadow

WATER LEAK

Hi Archer. Any luck finding the leak? Seems like you stumped the panel on this one. Don't forget to pack them fishing poles. And have a safe trip.

ARCHER

WATER LEAK

Hello Shadow,
Nope, really did not find the leak, but gotta get everything else ready to leave in about a week. Indian Summer here for a couple days so gotta make hay while I can. Yup, fishing poles already set out to pack....fresh and salt water. Mrs., made sure the fishing stuff was ready.....she always out fishes me. We just go nice and slow on trips (around 55-60MPH) and only drive about 6-8 hours a day so leave plenty of time to get where we are going.
By the way, do you like your Montana? Next house on wheels we buy is gonna be a fiver.

Shadow

WATER LEAK

Maybe sometime after you get back, you could try parking it at different angles in your drive and hit it with the water hose. Might find it that way. We really do like our Montana, lots of room inside and it tows like a dream. Save some fish for us. By the way, hear anything from Chelse?

ARCHER

WATER LEAK

Have not heard from Chelse for a while. Last I heard, I think he was in Tenn and bought some property and was gonna have a party for all of us. :laugh:

C Nash

WATER LEAK

Archer, That was Poppa that was buying the Tenn property for all us :)

Shadow, really had a rough few weeks here. got tangled up with one of those rattle snakes that you warned Archer or someone about :eek: . Hate to admit it but this ole country boy got bit and didn't know it until to late for medical help :dead: Always walk in the woods but stay on trails that I have scraped with the tractor this time of year. Pulled a dummy and took a shorcut back because it was getting late through some rough underbrush and briars. Never felt nothing or if I did just thought it was a briar. Woke up that night with leg aching and sweating and chills. Got up the next morning Monday and left to go on my after retirement truck run and really starting feeling terrible aches shooting pains and trouble breathing and sore inside. Just figured I was coming down with the flu but had no cold or runny nose. Didn't think I would make it back home. Noticed the fang mark that night righ below and in front of my ankle but knew it was to late for doc at this point and still didn't think I could be bit bt a snake and not know it. Anyway went to doc on the following thursday because the foot was swelled and being a diabetic decided to go and that is when I found out it was a snake. Doc told me I had survived the worst and was very lucky. Told him that was for sure cause if I had seen that snake and if is was as big as he said it was because of the fang marks I would have had a heart attack right there :laugh: . Anyway Iam back and glad to be back. Someone really looks after me. Now spending a lot of time snake hunting. I really think it was a copperhead and not a rattler. Guess this was my payback for kidding Archer about the snakes you warned him about in Texas

Shadow

WATER LEAK

Good to hear from you Chelse. Your one bad hombre (or lucky one). Can't imagine how sick you must of been. Even if you knew you got bit, and what kind of snake, there is a couple of day hospital stay. Glad your doing better. You coming to Texas this year? If not maybe Shirley and I will run over to Alabama next year. Would like to meet you before you take up alligator wrestling :laugh: .

C Nash

WATER LEAK

Hi shadow,
like I said someone watches after us dummies that dont know to stay out of brier patches walking in tennie shoes. For about 5 days I thought I was going to die and two of those I was hoping I would. Guess owning this old Ford MH is all that saved me. Have you seen the advertizement where this guy gets out of his ford truck and the rattler strikes him and then the snake dies. Guess I am Ford tough now. Sure hope the one that bit me died.
We will not be able to come that way this year. Have to stay close and watch our Mothers. One is 91 and the other 106. Be sure and let us know if you come to Alabama.

Archer, you need to tighten the four bolts that hold the A/C. Do not over tighten. they should be tightened ever year and the seal replaced about ever four, five years. remove the inside cover and you will see the bolts. Think they are 7/16.