Water Leak

ARCHER

Hello to all. I've posted this about a year ago regarding leaking in my ole 89 Winn Chieftain. Under old post, I had stated I was gonna replace the A/C seal. Well, I did that this week, right after I had moved the RV. When I am sitting level, you cannot see or feel any water inside on walls, etc., however, when you move the rv to a down slope, I got water coming from ceiling down the inside of the front windshield. This past time, it was quite a bit of water, since it really rained buckets about a week ago. I'm not sure if I still have the leak since I replaced the A/C seals, because I covered the entire MH with the rv cover.
While replaceing the A/C seal, I removed the inside base and the topside unit completly. I did not notice any water around the hole in the roof at all, and it seemed the hard foam roof insulation was completely dry. I replaced the square seal and the two other strips on the rear of the unit (I guess that is where the two extra rectangular seals went (there were two old ones there). Those seals don't go someplace else do they? I tighted the unit back up to tight and a couple more turns on each of the four bolts. Is that tight enough???
I am at a loss as to why I am getting water (or was getting water).
I have sealed all the seams on the roof.
I have sealed the top of each window (I wouldn't thing that is the culprit as water came in from roof somewhere).
Previous owner had sealed around the outside of the three covers over roof vents not allowing any water to enter from the roof area (which I have never seen any water coming in around the inside of the vents).
One of the front running lights has a small crack in it (I've ordered replacement), but I would think very little water if any might come in on those, and if so, if would drain immediately to inside of windshield.
OK, now that I have bored everyone with my whining, I am looking for suggestions, tips or hints as to what I might have done wrong (roof A/C seal installed incorrectly?) or something else that I might have missed.
tks in advance for the help

rlmurraysr59

Water Leak

Hello, Archer

Seems like you are always helping others. Been a long time since I logged on to RV USA. Unfortunately my motorhome has turned into a very expensive guest house in my side yard. Fortunately I have a full hook up on the yard.

Anyway, have you checked the drain holes in the pan of the air conditioner. If these holes are not clear the water will build up and drain somewhere else. Mine were plugged when I bought the unit new in 2001. I kept getting drips on the front carpet so climbed up to check the sealant around the a/c units. Someone at Fleetwood had decided it would be very funny to put Devcon sealant in the drain holes so the water couldn't get out. I told Fleetwood about it but received the usual t/s reply to the problem. Fixed it myself.

I would also check your rubber roof to make sure there are no cracks or splits in it. Also, when sealing the seams make sure you clean them good first and then invest in the Devcon sealant that forms its own level when you put it in the seam. Seals a lot better, and last a lot longer, than standart RTV caulking.

Let me know how it works out. I have a leak in my slide that I haven't been able to fix since I bought the unit. I leave the slide sitting at an angle so the water runs off when it rains. It is a flat floor slide out so I just don't put it all the way out. I have to replace the slide-out toppers this year because the material seperated and flaps in the wind so I will re-seal around the slide-out after I take them off.

Good luck

ARCHER

Water Leak

Ron, tks for the tips. The drain holes are clear (when I used it in Texas, I had water draining down both sides of the motorhome, so believe they are clear). Do you know if the two small strips of seal that came with the large square seal for A/C go where I put them? Does the condensation only come from the rear part of the A/C unit when operating?
My roof is alum all the way on top and is sealed at edge to the siding coming from the sides and front/rear of the motorhome (all sealed good). Maybe it was the A/C seal, who knows. In my fix it book, it talks about a seal between the front and rear sections of the A/C unit that must be in place. Do you know anything about that?
Guess I won't know if it leaks again until I uncover it next fall and get ready to go to Florida.
tks again.

s.harrington

Water Leak

check your roof for pitting of the aluminum. You can get pin holes in your roof and not know it. Oxidation and electrolisis is common in older rigs. Also seal marker lights and ladder racks very carefully.

ARCHER

Water Leak

Ron, tks again. Did I put the seals in the right place on the A/C? I think the two single seals are for rear support of the A/C unit and not really for sealing out anything or so it seems.

rlmurraysr59

Water Leak

Sorry Archer, I can't answer that question. Mine leaked because of the holes being plugged. I also had a problem with the front air conditioner icing up. That turned out to be the control unit thermostat which was messing up because of radio waves from the converter. Had to replace the thermostat and then about 3 months later the converter. That lasted about 6 months and had to replace the converter again. But the holes were sealed with caulking. The leak on the slide is because it was put together without any sealing caulk at all and the screws had the head broken off when they were installed at the factory. Fleetwood is big and it is broken as far as I am concerned. Their quality is in the toilet.

Shadow

Water Leak

Hi ARCHER, what's so puzzling about your leak is the water has to be collecting somewhere. The leak is so small you don't see it till you move down the slope. It took what the whole summer to collect the water? Maybe park it again and break out the hose. Then give it a check inside and out before you move it. Good luck

ARCHER

Water Leak

Hi Shadow, sorry we didn't connect while we were in Texas. I don't disagree with your logic, however, I have never seen any leaking "inside" on the side walls, or the ceiling or the vents or around the A/C or any windows. Only see the water when I head down the slope of the driveway and stop. Really puzzling to me at this point. I have seen a few more side bubbles on the outside so the water may be draining a little between the siding and the interior outside wall.
What kind of paint or sealant do you put on an alum roof? Buy it at Lowe's, Home Depot?

S. Manaro

Water Leak

Had a komfort motorhome a few years ago which would occasionally leak water down onto the dash. After spending months searching for a leak, I discovered the water was seeping in under the front, yellow clearance light mounts and syphoning in via the mount screws!

S.

ARCHER

Water Leak

S., tks. I am picking up a replacement clearance light this am for one of the front markers. One of them hasn't worked for a year or so now, and I could not get it to come out by removing the two mounting screws and didn't want to break it until I had a replacement. Think I'll remove them all and reseal around mounting screws and then see what happens. tks again.