WATER SYSTEM

ARCHER

Well, folks, this might sound like a really dumb question, but here goes... :question:
We will be leaving for Floida winter snowbird trip soon and I was curious as to how folks leave there water system at home. Do you drain it (the toilet) and then leave it empty? This is our first winter trip and I know about mail forwarding, turn down the heat, etc., but I'm not sure about the toilet. I know if we are gone for a two week trip the water starts to look a little cloudy in the toilet but clears up after a couple flushes.
Appreciate any other suggestions regarding "House Check Lists" and thanks in advance for the ideas/help ;)

hertig

WATER SYSTEM

I turn off the water heater water and gas (I had one eat through the bottom and flood the place). Sometimes I turn off the water TO the toilet (washing machine, etc), but I would NOT drain it, as the water in there acts as sort of a cap to the sewer, keeps down the bugs and odor.

I turn down the heat (or turn up the AC) to a cheaper setting which still prevents cold or heat damage to the house contents. As much as practical, I try to empty out the refridgerator (I had a friend whose quit during his trip, and you don't want to experiance that smell/mess). Unplug toasters and other electrical devices which could either start a fire or be damaged by power surges. Set up SEVERAL lights on VARYING timers, and possibly a radio/TV. Have your porch light on a motion sensor. Stop all deliveries, mow/weed the yard, have someone come by and check every so often (and remove advertising flyers on the door). If you have a carport, arrange to have at least 1 car parked there. Check all doors/windows are closed and LOCKED. Remove irreplacables and portable things of value to a safe deposit box (or at least one of those chest safes).

ARCHER

WATER SYSTEM

Hertig,

Thanks so much for the info. I usually do most of what you said when I just leave for a week or so on a normal vacation, but wanted the info for a 3-4 month period to be safe. I had a freezer (the big upright one go bad while I was gone for two weeks many years ago, and I know what you mean....took weeks to get the smell out of the house. :dead:
Again,
thanks a bunch, I appreciate it greatly...... :laugh:
By the way, do you do anything special to the vehicle(s) you leave in the driveway, like treat the gas with stablizer, ???

Gary B

WATER SYSTEM

Hi Archer, we do almost the same a Hertig, when we leave for the winter, we have our own well so I turn the circuit breaker for it off, we never have but some folks put antifreeze in their toilet, just in case. We have a neigbor check our place every couple of days and plow the snow, check on heating fuel etc. Have a good winter trip/stay. :) :laugh: :cool: :approve:

hertig

WATER SYSTEM

The longest I've ever gone for is 1 month. For 3 to 4 months, I'd consider at least some of the following:

Housesitter
Hire someone to maintain the exterior (snow shovel or in my case, handle weeds)
Check with my insurance to make sure I was still covered if gone that long
If no housesitter, turn off water at the meter
Make sure I was real good friends with the police and all my neighbors :)
Install a monitored alarm system, also one of those 'call your phone and listen' devices. Possibly
even a web cam. I'd have a cell phone which was 'in network' where I was going to be, and
possibly even forward my home phone to it.
If no housesitter, turn off all circuit breakers except those maintaining climate control and
security.
Empty/turn off all refrigerators/freezers.
If in season, put some moskito poison in the toilets. Drain the tanks, but not the bowls, in
fact, probably try to pour in a little more water to try to prevent them from completely
evaporating.

The cars parked in my carport have always been 'junkers' and never have had any treatment. For
three months and a 'good' vehicle, I'd add gas or diesel treatment.

Sounds like you have the mail handled; it would have to be forwarded, not just held (30 days max).

ARCHER

WATER SYSTEM

Hertig & all,
tks again.....think I'll be covered with the advice given by all. My daughter lives here and will be checking the house every few days so believe I'll not have to worry about coming home to problems.
Can hardly wait to hit the road and head towards "Warmer" weather (It's near zero today.... :cool:

Gary B

WATER SYSTEM

Hi Archer, Have a good trip and winter, I hope we'll be able to go in Jan. think I've had about enough winter already. Happy Holidays All. :) :approve: :cool:

fortify

WATER SYSTEM

Here's how we handle toilets when we are on the road. I add a little extra water to the bowl, raise the lid and seat. Use Saran or Glad Wrap to seal the bowl. Also works well on the toilet in the rig when going down the hichway. Keeps the floor dry in case of a rough road or panic stop.

Have a great trip.
Gene