We need all the help we can get!

oiseaux

Hello! My husband and I just bought a 2004 Sightseer by Winnebago and will become fulltimers in October. We've been dreaming of this day for 7 years now so we're pretty excited. Over those 7 years, we've spent a lot of time reading and attending RV shows. Last night we began reviewing some of our books on basic RVing questions but since they were bought prior to 2000, I wonder. Are they out of date now? What kind of books should we get to answer our questions? Any suggestions?

Kirk

We need all the help we can get!

My answer depends upon what subject the book covers. If it happens to be the "RV Repair and Maintenance Manual" from Trailer Life press, or "RVing for Dummies" then you may want to get the current one because of the fact that it is improved each year, it has gotten better in a lot of areas and it won't cover some of the newer appliances that have changed since you bought it. If you mean books about fulltime RV living, then they should serve pretty well as the issues have not changed significantly in the five years since you purchased them. Books on choosing a residence to use as a fulltimer will have some changes, but probably not too major. If you do not replace those, take the time to check out any changes in the laws of any state that you consider. Campground guides should be no older than one year, two at most. If you are thinking of other RV books, post what you have in mind and you will get opinions. Very little of what you have already learned will have changed.

Since it sounds as though you are new to RV travel, I suggest that you spend as much time as possible in the RV between now and October. Do that partly to learn how things work and partly to learn how the two of you work in the RV. Most of us are people who have extensive RV experience prior to choosing the fulltime RV lifestyle. Since you do not have that, it would be very wise to parctice as much as possible.