Weight distributing

Rick78EFI460

I have a GM3500 dually 4X4 ext cab, and a Keystone hideaway 26B trailer. The trailer hardly squats the truck at all, and the front of the trailer sits a bit higher ( couple inches) than the rear on the road. I think it is possibly giving me a handling anomaly, a bit of sway and a weird bounce. hooking up the weight distributing hitch helps take weight of the rear end........ SO.... do I really need it ? It would be a bit cheaper to drop the hitch if I didn't need the distributing bit . To drop the adjustable hitch further requires parts replacement, it's already in the bottom hole.
Rick

brodavid

Re: Weight distributing

Morning and welcome to the forum,
Ken is probably is the one to answer if not alot of others,
just give them time to wake up and have some coffee

Shadow

First off I know nothing about hitch's. So take this with a grain of salt. If the trailer is sitting higher in the front. Have you tried a drop hitch to make it level? You can get them from 2'' to whatever. Seems like that truck should have no problem. jmo

Rick78EFI460

I do have a drop hitch, and its an adjustable type.... dropped to its lowest setting. therein lies the rub. To buy one that drops it lower than the one I have now means more money spent on not fun stuff instead of fun stuff :)

C Nash

Couple of inches really shouldn't matter. Might want to weigh the hitch weight to see if it's in specs. Keep the weight distributing hitch. JMO

Grandview Trailer Sa

I would try lowering the trailer in front, if you can. Trailers that are high in front will catch some wind going down the road and that will effect towing. IF that does not do it, you can always add the Weight Dist. Hitch later.

Rick78EFI460

RE: Weight distributing

The piece I needed to fix this whole problem is called the shank........ it only costs $108 here for the new 8 hole shank that will take care of the whole issue. Not a bad price to pay to just do it right. Having a handling problem could conceivably cost much more if all went wrong somewhere.

Rick