weird power loss and air vent problems

I'm new to RVing and I'm still trying to learn as much as possible. I currently have 2 problems and one question. We just bought a 1991 Itasca Sunflyer class A.

Question-I don't quite understand why certain things will only work with the generator on or only while plugged into AC and not while the motor is running. For example, the TV won't work while the engine is one, only while plugged in or the generator is on. And the AC only while the generator is on but not plugged in. It gets confusing trying to remember what power runs which thing. Why won't it all work off the same power?

First problem, the television & DVD player are plugged into an extention cord then plugged into an outlet. Occassionally, randomly, the TV turns off. It can be turned on immediately without problem BUT the DVD player never loses power. This seems to be a malfunction with the TV but I wanted more opinions before I go buy a new one.

Second problem, while filling the water tanks, they expand with air and bulge out. When I open the vent, it vents both air and water very slowly AND that seems to make it leak water into the under part of the chassis where it runs over to my entrance causing the carpet to get wet. I think we may need a new filling system.

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks from Alaska

C Nash

Hi from Alaska,
The front tv is designed so as not to play with the engine running (Dangerous to watch tv while driving :laugh: ) Should not play even with the generator running if the engine is running. I may not be understanding exactly what you are talking about.
AC has to have 110 volts which is supplied by the generator (not generator on engine) or plugged up to shore power.
Sounds like you have a vent problem or may be trying to fill to fast.

Kirk

quote: For example, the TV won't work while the engine is one, only while plugged in or the generator is on. And the AC only while the generator is on but not plugged in. It gets confusing trying to remember what power runs which thing. Why won't it all work off the same power?
First of all, there are only two places to get 120V-ac power. They are from the shore power cord or the genset. Your appliances all operate from that power as does the air conditioner. Your lights, water pump, furnace and such operate from 12V-dc power that can come from your chassis engine, the coach batteries, or the converter which makes it for the 120V shore power. The air conditioner should work from either shore power or the genset. There may be a switch to select between the sources.

quote: Occassionally, randomly, the TV turns off. It can be turned on immediately without problem BUT the DVD player never loses power.
As an electro/mech tech, I see no probablility that it is anything other than the TV, since they share both the power cord and the outlet.

quote:while filling the water tanks, they expand with air and bulge out. When I open the vent, it vents both air and water very slowly AND that seems to make it leak water into the under part of the chassis where it runs over to my entrance causing the carpet to get wet. I think we may need a new filling system.
Are you sure that what you are opening is the vent? Most RVs have a vent line that is does not pass through a valve. It isn't uncommon for some bug to build a nest in them, or some other obstruction to stop it up. But whatever it is that you are opening that leaks on the floor must be repaired as it will damage the floor if allowed to continue for long. Is the water fill one that comes from the city water connection? I suggest that you trace the line with the valve that you have opened to vent the pressure off and see where it goes and where it is leaking. It could be that it is just a problem of it being routed wrong, but it also could be broken. Does the plumbing all work properly when connected to city water, with no leaks?