What a Life

DL Rupper

A typical day in our life "on the road" full-timing: We left Cody, WY this morning for a day trip to Yellowstone Nat'l Park. We headed up Chief Joseph Highway to the seldom used Northeast Gate (Silver Gate) just past the town of Cooke City, MT. The ride started out fairly uneventful for the first few miles and then we started seeing lots of antelope and small groups of mule deer. If fact we had to stop for about 6 mule deer just off the road.

By the time we had entered Yellowstone we had spotted over a hundred mule deer, numerous antelope and about 18 ELK. After entering the Park we headed for Lamar Valley. Once in the valley we immediately began to see herds of buffalo, antelope and elk and saw 3 coyotes, 2 wolves, and a small (cinnamon brown) black bear.

We proceeded to tour the whole park and were amazed that the huge 1 million acre fire that blackened and devastated the Park in 1988 was almost entirely covered over with new pines that are approximately 25 feet tall now. The Park is still mostly covered in a blanket of snow. Throughout the Park we continued to see large numbers of buffalos and elk and had the good fortune to see 8 trumpeter swans.

We left the Park through the East Gate and headed back to Cody, WY. On the way down the mountain we again saw over 100 mule deer and 23 Rocky Mountain Big Horn Sheep to include 2 large BIG HORN RAMS that somehow reminded me of my RAM 2500 Dodge.

The trip covered 311 miles at an average speed of 47 miles/hour. The Ram 2500 Dodge CTD averaged 24.4 miles/gal computer and 23.1 miles/gal hand calculated. Total cost of fuel was: 13.4gallons of diesel at $4.40/gal for a total of $59.

Great day full-timing.

elkhartjim

Re: What a Life

Where could you possiblly go for $59 for this enjoyment? I'm so jealous it hurts, but I'm glad for you two. How did you possibly do 300+ miles in one day in the park....diddn't you have to eat or at least staop and P...?????????????

DL Rupper

Hey Jim, we left early (7:30 am) The traffic is light in the park this time of year. We didn't hurry, but stopped to look at wildlife, P...?????, walk around a little and look at some stuff in the Fishing Bridge General Store is about all.

We plan on going back again to see the hot pots, geysers etc. when the snow melts some more. We were primarily looking for wildlife on this trip.

Kirk

DL.
Next trip make a run up to the Canyon area and spend a little time hiking. Some really great areas there too.

One thing that isn't commonly known is the great increase in populations of elk and buffalo since the 88 fire. The fact was that the park had reached a point where there was too much mature timber for the survival of large numbers of most wildlife. As a result of that fire there is much more open area with grasses and browse plants which are needed for food to support large populations of grazing animals.

We spent extensive time in Yellowstone three years ago and were as amazed by the animal populations as you are. When we used to visit the park in the 70's and 80s while our boys were growing up and we lived in Wyoming, a large heard of buffalo was dozen or so and elk were seldom seen as summer set in. Early like it is now you could see some but only in very small heards and not many of those.

Enjoy the park!

DL Rupper

Hey Kirk, the road to Canyon was still closed (snow) from the Tower Junction so we had to go all the way around. We were going to take the Norris Junction shortcut to Canyon but for some reason they had to close the road from Canyon to Fishing Bridge so we went the long way.

We are going back. We plan to move to Dubois, WY and then over to Teton Nat'l Park and then take the RV through the park to West Yellowstone in early Jun.

I came to Yellowstone a lot when I was growing up and when I was raising my kids. Utah is a hop, skip , and a jump from Yellowstone.

Happy Camping. :)

LEN

Canyon, Canyon area!! We did the park for a few days last year Summer to Fall and one of the high lights for me was when the wife went for a pottie brake at a stop on north rim drive after we took the hike to the river. She was
on the pottie when she heard a bunch of snorting and such and thought I was fooling around. then as she opened the door she was in the middle of a herd of buffs maybe 75 or so and had to sit it out for ten minutes or so as they feed through.
Noris can be oh so beautiful in the snow and cold(the steam is so much more active) plus the ice.
Staying at Gardiner is a quick into the park as you are on the edge on the north and Flag ranch for the Tetons from the south and then Grant village or fishing bridge for the center. MMMMM maybe I should go back again this fall as the visitors leave LOL.
The Lamar Valley is always a great photo opportunity all day and better early morning or late evening.

LEN

elkhartjim

You guys are killing me. I've never been. I've spent a lot of time in the Tahoe area but of course with no wildlife to speak of. Most interesting thing I ever saw there was a once going up a ski lift I saw a porcupine curled up in tree branches. Wouldn't necessarily be the same as a herd of buffalo. DL continue to enjoy. Can you post any pictures in an album of the wildlife?????

DL Rupper

No to the pic posting. All I have is my camera cell phone. I'm lucky if I can figure out how to answer it.
The best time to go to Yellowstone is in May/early Jun or September after the crowds have left.

utmtman

Hey DL be sure to take the Madison road toward West Yellowstone. When we were there last year in June there were dozens of Eagles along the river. There were also a ton of elk along that drive as well. We spent 4 weeks last year two in June and 2 in July for two different family reunions. Stayed in west Yellowstone the first trip and further west in the lake area in July. Both trips were great. Saw 0 Buffs the first trip and could not get away from them the second. Aw yes what fun.
Have a great trip

DL Rupper

Lee, we are going to take the RV into Yellowstone through the South Gate and on out the Madison road to West Yellowstone in June. We are going to stay in West Yellowstone for 4 days so will travel the the Madison road a couple of times. Great fun. Have fun in Washington. Isn't this full-timing boring. :laugh: :laugh: ;)

elkhartjim

I don't know DL dang it, but figure it out. I'm trying to see if theres enough beans in the bean jar to come see ya"ll.

TexasClodhopper

Cell phone camera pictures won't be very good.

... and I don't think you can take a picture through all that diesel smoke anyway! :clown:

DL Rupper

Send the pictures to my e-mail. I'm still trying to figure out to answer it. My son gave me his old RZR and put me on his service after I put my Tracfone through the wash cycle. The stupid RZR doesn't have instructions, so I fumble around trying different things. I can send him pics now, but that's to his cell phone. how do I type in letters and numbers on the same address line?

Tex is right, the pics aren't very good. I took a picture of the bear and it looks like a pile of brown on the side of the road.