what am I doing wrong

topcat1943

I just had the bypass kit put on my pump for putting the antifreeze in the lines. there are only two positions on the valve open and bypass. when its open it pumps water out of the holding tank fine.
but when i turn it to bypass screw the plastic hose on and try to pump out of the jug nothing happens. I'm probally doing something stupid but cant see what. I didnt install this myself had it done at the local rv repair shop
thanks in advance

Steve H

RE: what am I doing wrong

Difficult to second guess what is happening without seeing your set up...I assume you have a bypass on the Water Heater so no anti freeze will enter the tank. I put a pump converter kit on the water pump. It is a t fitting with a switchthat allows the pump to draw from the fresh water tank or the capped end. I flip the sitch, remove the cap, install the little hose for the anti freeze and turn on the water pump. Works really well.

Does your pump run? Maybe itneeds to be primedor something.

Hopefullysomeone else can pin point the problem! Best of luck!

G

I hope that they installed a winterizing kit on the pump of ur rv???
Right ,, also i hope that they installed it on the right sdie of the pump,,
I had a call out the other day ,, for some winterizing issues ,, anyway ,, i found out that the rv owner had installed a winter kit on his ,,,, but he put it on the city water line and not on the suction side of the pump ,, from the fresh water tank ,,,, I know that the city water does not go to the pump ,, but he did it because it was easy to get at ,, now i'm not putting this guy down ,, we all make mistakes ,,, i assume that since u get water from the FW tank then the pump is working ,,,, try to open the valve while u'r pumping water from the FW tank ,, and if u lose pressure to the inside faucets and stuff then the valve is working ,, if not u may have a bad valve ,,, also u mentioned about a bypass ,,, i also hope that when u had it installed u did not tell them this ,, cause these dealer and such would do this kinda thing just to make u look bad ,, even though they know better... please post us back on.........
(1) it is a WH bypass
(2) it is a winterizing pump kit
A little more info can help us steer u in the right direction ;) :)

C Nash

Re: what am I doing wrong

How long a hose or you using to pump from the antifreeze jug? If they installed the bypass like 730 said on the suction side of the hose it should work but the suction hose should be as short as possible and sometimes I have seen where the pumps were kind of weak and the jug had to be held higher than the pump and the hosed filled before the pump would pick it up.

G

Good thought Nash ,, my hose that i use is barley 12inches long ,, if that :eek: ;) :approve:

Grandview Trailer Sa

It sounds to me the valve is installed on the pump backwards. The valve in the bypass kits I sell have threads on each side. There is a plastic coupler that goes on the pump, then the valve is threaded into that. IF the wrong side of the valve is threaded into the coupler it will not work. Simple look at the brass valve and look for the arrow. It should point to the pump. If it is pointing away from the pump, take it apart and turn around.

Let us know!

G

Damn ,, i'm glad Ken is back ,, he really knows this stuff :laugh: :laugh: ;)
I hope he has a good cure for hick-ups ,, can't get rid of mine :laugh: :laugh:

G

I tried that ,, but everytime i look in the miror it's the same old me ,, and i thought i was scary :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Hey Bty ,, Ken have a good Thanksgiving ,, i'm getting forgetfull ,, so i let u know now while i can still remember :laugh: :laugh:
And welcome back ,, i know it's hard coming back to work after a good vacation ;) :laugh:
Bty the hick-ups are gone for now :cool: :approve: :laugh: :laugh: :evil:

brodavid

What did you do? look at Tex's picture. JK, love all you guys and glad to have Mr Ken back.
Happy Thanksgiving to all and to all our love and prayers,

ms jackie, brodavid and sarah rebekah

brodavid

We love you Tex, and david said to tell you hello, misses your picking and info,

msjackie

G

hey topcat did u ever get u'r winterizing stuff worked out ,, sorry we got off the subject ,, but we kinda do that in our winter boredom stage,,, welcome to the forum and once u get the feel for this palce u'll find out were all ok ,, we just like to act up like children now and again ,, but no harm ment ot anyone.... ;) :) :)

topcat1943

yes thanks for oll the info guys it sure helped. sure enough even though I had this kit installed at the local rv repair shop it was in stalled backwards. on the right side of the pump but backwards. wife suggested that in the bypass position i try blowing through the pick-up tube. and it blew air right back into the holding tank. so took it back to the shop made them redo it thanks for the help

C Nash

Glad you got it fixed topcat. Think it was Ken that nailed this problem. Sure great to have a dealer on here that knows his stuf and willing to share FREE. We all make mistakes so maybe the installation was just an honest one but, bet it was installed by a tech that was inexperianced :(

G

I hope u don't employ any of these :clown: at u'r dealership Ken :question: :question:
JK ,, i had to do that ,,, bty TEX made me do it :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :8ball: :evil:

G

Tex i wish it was 102 ,,, :bleh: :approve: Man I HATE THE COLD....
If it's not 70degrees at night i'm cold ,,, but then again if it's gonna get cold ,, let it snow.....
Bty Tex have u ever been to MB around xmas time???? if so what do i need to prepare the rv for ,, as far as temps that is :question: :question: :laugh: ;)

Ok this is a test again for u Tex ,,, what does MB stand for :question: :question: :question: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Bty if u get it right ,, Ken will give u new suit ,, just desighned by himself ,, for DL's diesel smoke :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :evil: :clown:

TexasClodhopper

Wait a minute! There's no way Ken is going to part with that $13 tuxedo! I'm not even gonna try to answer your quiz without a prize involved!

But here's one that everyone is just dying to ask you, "What does 'bty' stand for?" :laugh: