What bugs you about towing?

Carolinagirl

Hi!
I was wondering, just out of curiosity since DH really will do all the towing, what is the worst thing about towing a travel trailer?
I am usually a nervous wreck even when we are towing the pop-up and I can see over this to whats behind us. I've heard lots of people complain about towing campers but have never really gotten anserws on specifically what it is that is the worst part of it.

Carolinagirl
2000 Coleman Fairview
1995 Chevy Suburban
1995 Chevy Silverado 4x4

C Nash

Semi trucks passing tends to make the tt sway but, with proper tow vehicle and sway controls, it's no big problem. High winds, especially crosswind, can create problems. Hate to see rvs being towed to fast. I like to stay around 55 saves gas and I'll arrive soon after the ones running 75 anyway. They have to make a extra fuel stop. Hate towns where you get on the interstates and then have to get all the way to the other lane for your turn, generally miss them and have to go 40 extra miles. Well thats ok, remember I am in no hurry anyway. Now wonder what the car drivers hate? THAT RV'ER DRIVING 55 ON THE INTERSTATE!!! Hook up and go, after 20 miles you will forget it's back there.

Chelse L. Nash
fulltimer03@yahoo.com

drummerman

Greetings.

I have a 24 ft Prowler, and find crosswinds to be a problem. My wife and I are going to buy a 30ft 5th wheel. I hope towing that is easier.

JeffandSuzanne

When we picked up our Hensley Arrow hitch-equipped, 30 ft Airstream, we had a 200 mile trip to get back home. We had never towed anything in our recent life; and, even with a rain-slicked Interstate 35 and a 25 mph crosswind, after the novelty wore off, we hardly knew we had a trailer behind us. 'Nuff said.

Almost full-timers in a white 1999 Ford E-250 Regency Van, pulling a 30ft. Airstream w/Hensley Arrow hitch

C Nash

Jeff and Suzanne, Nothing like having the perfect set-up, best towing TT, best hitch, and proper tow vehicle
PS; Next to the 5th wheel
Chelse L. Nash
fulltimer03@yahoo.com

Edited by - c nash on Feb 13 2002 10:45:10 PM

Kim Bodley

It isn't the towing that is the problem! It's backing up and parking the *!*!*!*!*! thing that really bugs me! However, with practice my son and I are getting the manuevers into our storage area parking space down pretty well. We have the whole backup, unhook, unhitch, etc. operation down to under 20 minutes - down from just over an hour so making progress!

JPBECK

People cutting in front of you and stomping on the brakes! They think of nothing but themselves, they think it's easy for you to stop!
Gas Milage
Trucks passing throwing your rig to the side
Backing
:evil: