What is a love bug

Old Forum Post

What is a love bug

[Jim Kriz] It is a black bug about the shape of a lightning bug but just slightly smaller. They&#039re called "love bugs" because two bugs attach themselves together in a way that looks like butt-to-butt, but who knows what&#039s really connected? (wink, wink!) They fly in pairs with one flying backward. This makes for a very clumsy, slow moving combo. They seem to come in swarms and when you drive thru them they stick all over the front of everything - especially big flat surfaces like the fronts of motorhomes and trailers. Most people say that they have some acid in them so, left on long enough, they may damage your paint. They are at their worst in late April and May and again in September and early October. They don&#039t bite and the only way they bother people is to bump into them while flying.
Before our trip to Fla. last Sept. I put three coats of wax on the trailer and truck so the bugs came off a little easier but it still took a brush and a little elbow grease.

Old Forum Post

What is a love bug

[Harry Thorn] There are two kinds of love bugs that I am familiar with. One is an old VW called Herbie. The others are a nuicance here in Florida that fly slow, mate in the air and commit suicide while messing up your windshield and paint. If there are other kinds I have not heard of them. Later....Harry...

Old Forum Post

What is a love bug

[Larry] Gee, and all this time I thought that it was what bit me the first time I saw the cute little mail girl pushing her mail cart down the aisle. Twenty two years later it is still biting and it don&#039t hurt NONE!