What is your tow vehicle?

We were looking at an F250 turbo diesel but now I'm wondering if we want to look at a one ton. The only problem is we have to use the tow vehicle for our local sled and driving a one ton around town is crazy. 3/4 ton is bad enough but manageable.

But I don't want to haul right at capacity either. I like safety margins.

We looked at some really nice units today, but they were 11,000 lbs dry weight. Almost too heavy empty.

So, do you go with a slightly smaller unit and the smaller tow, or are we going to wish we had every extra inch of space?

Triple E

Re: What is your tow vehicle?

While I am not the one to answer this. I have a Class A. But JMO, I would not go small on a tow vehicle. I read too many stories about brakes, transmission, and frames going bad. As well as over heating. If in doubt go a little bigger. Space that you need depends on you. ie; time in the unit, what you want to take with you and ect, ect.

Safety and comfort are you number one concerns. Enjoy your travels. :)

:8ball:

LEN

Also do a bit of reading on the fords. Go early or newer there was a bad motor, diesel in some years. And agree with Triple E get enough tow rig for the job.

LEN

Triple E

I just read this article and thought I would share it. "Increasing fuel dilution levels in 2007 - 2008 light-duty Ford, GM, and Dodge diesel pickup applications, with indications that 2009 -2010 models are also affected. Research indicates fuel dilution is intensifying due to the use of in-cylinder post-fuel injection during the engine's exhaust stroke to regenerate the diesel particulate filter (dpf)."

So what this means is that diesel is seeping into the oil pan. If you are not changing oil as recommended by the manufactory you should even if you are using long range synthetic diesel oil. Unless you do an oil test and the test proves to be all right.

:8ball:

Even though we're going to be full timing, we won't be doing a lot of traveling. No mountain passes, no desert crossings, no back woods camping. I decided to go a little lighter on the camper, something in the 9,600 to 10,000 pound range. That still gives us healthy length, but with 2 slides instead of 4. Also moves us out of the bunkhouse layout to more of a residential unit. The biggest downside is that lowers the ceiling height in the front bedroom. Minor annoyance but not a deal breaker.

That puts under the max trailer weight and gross weight restrictions, even with some gear on board. I don't feel like I'm pushing any safety limits.

Still haven't made up my mind on the F250, the model we're looking at is an '08, but I haven't found anything I like better. We looked at one tons and they're $12,000 more and difficult to fit in a standard parking space. The dealership picks up and delivers all of their units with an F250 4x4, crew cab, standard bed. I have friends out here specializing in delivering farm equipment and they endorsed the diesel F250 as a workhorse as well. But I'm not setting anything in cement.

Sounds like most of the full timers here go Class A.

We decided to go with the F350 turbo diesel with single rear wheels instead of the F250. 15,000 lbs towing capacity, 12,500 gross vehicle weight so I don't think we have to worry about being over on our tongue weight and we can still fit it in a parking spot.

It's on its way, should be here in a few days.

>The truck or the new rv Chris

Ha-ha. The fuel bill is certainly eye opening. Guess you don't buy a 1 ton for gas mileage. But when diesel goes back to $5/gallon I'll be the guy at the diesel pump with tears in his eyes.

Everybody likes it, though. The people who don't have to pay for gas. People go out of their way to tell me what I nice truck I have. Figure they're sucking up for when they need someone to tow something big for them.

HT Gearhead

The fuel economy difference between a 3/4 ton and 1 ton isn't that big so just as well you went with a 1 ton. This way you don't limit yourself if ever you decide to go for a bigger rig sometime down the road. We went from an F-150 to a 1 ton diesel and have no regrets. I like the Cummins power plant better myself. Too bad you can't get them in Fords or Chevs. ;) We just recently upgraded from a 27 foot Westwind TT bunkhouse model to a 39 foot 5th residential. I'm so glad I bought a 1 ton now. :)

If we go any direction, it'll probably be smaller. Even though it would be nice to have enough room for a small desk, it's just not worth the extra size and weight towing.

There's a couple right behind us who picked up a nice little Wildwood Ultra Lite. It's a little shorter than ours, but not much. It weighs in at 7,300 dry weight and is easily towable with his brand new 3/4 ton GMC. That's dang near in the range of some 1/2 tons, not that I want to cut it that close.

I don't know. My preferences and thinking change quite a lot and I do like our 350. It's nice to have that safety margin, especially when you have to hit the brakes or climb a hill. :)