What size RV

Tassiedevil

My husband and I live in Tasmania, Australia, we plan to come to North America next year and travel for approximately 6 month, we were thinking of buying a C class about 24',we don't want anything too big as we have to get used to driving on the left hand side of the road in a left hand drive vehicle (scarey).Would one that size be suitable for 2 people travelling for 6 mths, and is it best to buy from a dealer or buy privately. Could one of you full timers please give us some advise, it would be greatly appreciated.

turnipbwc

What size RV

Tassiedevil,
Welcome to the forum.......I think the Class C would be the best for you since it's going to be 6 months you want to travel. If you were going to spend less time in the USA I would say the Class B but that would be a little crowded for the 2 of you. I would buy from a dealer when you get to this country. Buying from a private person will take more time to get your title and license plates.
I own a Class B Roadtrek and don't know a lot about the Class C but there a lot of good people on this forum that will be replying to you on the subject.
Good Luck whatever you decide and Happy RVing in the US.
turnip42

DL Rupper

What size RV

Hey Tassiedevil, I agree the Class C would work well for you; However, I would try to find a 26ft with a permenant bed. From what I remember, most of the 24ft C's require you to make a bed out of the table/booth cushions or climb up to the cabover bed. That could get old after the first month.

s.harrington

What size RV

Yes a 26 foot is the best all around size. It can fit into almost any park and most have a permenant bed. But it also has enough room that you don't have to sit at the table. Most also have a couch in the livingroom.

Tassiedevil

What size RV

Do you suggest that we get one with a slide out or does that add too much weight therefore effecting fuel economy,as I presume we will be travelling quite a few thousand miles. I agree I think we need one with a permanent bed.

DL Rupper

What size RV

Can't see how 1 slide on a 26ft Rv would make much difference one way or another. Don't think it would add that much weight.

Kirk

What size RV

It depends more on availability than weight. If you are buying new, it will be very easy to get one with a slide, but slides are fairly new to the class C so if used they could be difficult to locare. It is more of a space issue than of weight. Do you plan to tow a car?

Tassiedevil

What size RV

Hi kirk, definately no to towing a car, I'm scared enough about driving on the other side of the road much less towing something as well. I have seen a couple of 26ft with slideouts they were 1 or 2 years old though.Does it make much difference to the size. I have never seen one except in photos as far as I know they aren't available in Australia, the imported ones may have them.We are thinking about going to a caravan and camping show on the mainland in February to see some.

odonnks

What size RV

For 6 months of travel I'd go for the slide. I assume that you'll be selling sometime after the trip. If so, the extra you pay for a slide will be almost all recovered.
The extra weight will be almost nothing to the fuel efficiency.
As Workcamper I live in a 2 slide 39 ft class A pusher and could not go without. My wife and I took a western trip thru Wyoming and South Dakota and even though we moved every 2-3 days, the slides were great! Especially if you travel with a pet.
I agree with turnip42 about buying from a dealer. I've done it both ways and never got burned, but...
You need to get to a dealer that has one with and one with out and go right from one to another. I was a skeptic until I looked at them.
Good Luck. :)

turnipbwc

What size RV

Tassiedevil,
odonnks has a point but I for one don't like the slideouts. They have good points and bad points but I have read to many forum replys where they leak, slide out while driving, don't seal right, etc. I admit that's probably the drivers fault for not securing them property if they slide out while driving. The extra room would be nice but I still don't like them.
That's my opinion and mine only. Good luck whatever you buy.
turnip

Tassiedevil

What size RV

It will be hard to decide until we can actually see one.If we buy a C class that is a couple of years old do they keep there value if we keep it a couple of years. Our 3 kids ( they hate being called kids as they are all in there 20's) would like to use it for a few weeks and if we really enjoy the 6 months travelling we may leave it with friends in Canada and come back again in 2007. My daughter wants to go to the Calgary Stampede in July have any of you been to it? I expect it would be hard to get an RV site.

hertig

What size RV

The big depreciations are in the first and possibly second years. After that, it should go down in value more slowly (assuming it is well maintained). Some models will probably hold their value better than others. I'd suggest looking up several years of your model of choice to see how it fares. www.nadaguides.com or see the blue books at your bank or library.

Be aware that there are several values of interest. There is 'wholesale' which is what a dealer allegedly will pay for the unit in trade. There is 'average retail' which is what a dealer should be offering it for (and perhaps accept a bit less). And there is a value between these two which would be appropriate for a private party to receive for the unit.

So if you pay retail, you probably have eaten the difference between wholesale and the amount you paid or if you sell it yourself, the difference between 'low retail' and the amount you paid. This loss is in addition to any depreciation of the unit.

Also, you may have to pay sales tax, which is another flush of the toilet. Depending on where you register it, you can pay a value based registration fee; flush again.