What to do?

Bayou316

Ok guys.....as you can see; I am brand new to the forums. So take it easy on me.

The wife and I sold our house and are currently renting a townhouse.

If, and I say if, a person where to buy a full-time rig; what would you guys recommend?

We thought about the Teton's; but my goodness, they are pretty expensive.

I know this next question may sound repetitive or it may not. I don't know; but tell me the disadvantages of being a full-timer.

What about as you get older and the hospitals are further away? What about power outages? Generators, I guess. When you reach that age where driving is too dangerous; I guess you could just rent an apartment or whatever. Correct?

I am retired military and I guess we could pull up to any military installation and stay as long as needed to repair both of us and move along.

As you can tell, we are kind of scared on what to do. We do know it is a big decision; but we both love the outdoors.

Take it easy on me now.

Thanks folks.

C Nash

Re: What to do?

Welcome to the forum Steve. You can do a search with the search feature here and find loads of answers on this. A lot will depend of the length of stay in one place to determin which rv is best. To fulltime in you need to go with one of the upper rv such as the teton. You will need a four season unit for best results. You will have problems with any make just like a regular stick built home. I like a place to come back to but it add extra expense but you never know what life has in store. Stay tuned for there will be a lot of advice. Some like the 5th wheels and some the MHs. Letting us know what type fulltiming you will be doing will help.

DL Rupper

Hey Bayou, welcome to the forum. If you like 5th Wheels then I would look at:
NUWA: HitchHikers, Discover American
Carriage
Excel
Gulfstream
Sunny Brook
Montana
They are somewhat less expensive than Teton's and work in all four seasons.

As far as the logistics of full-timing, it would pay you to purchase a couple of books on full-timing. Most of your answers are in the books. Basically all you need to do is establish a mail forwarding address in a state that doesn't have state income tax. Prescriptions can be forwarded from state to state by Wal-mart or Walgreen's. It's tough to grow old anywhere, but full-timing makes you tougher. :laugh:

Grandview Trailer Sa

NEWS FLASH, Teton is out of business, doors closed as of last week. Don't know a lot about it, don't know of any plans to come back.

utmtman

Hey Bayou, the wife and I are fulltimers and we have our meds set to us thru the mail from our pharmacy. We have never thought of having the prescription forwarded to us thru another pharmacy. Our mail is also forwarded to us thru our local post office where we have had a po box for many years. We plan on doing this until we can no longer drive the rv. Could be a long time.

Kirk

Bayou,
Welcome to the gang! I would suggest that you get a copy of one or two books on the subject of fulltime RV living and read those to get started. A good choice would be "Complete Guide to Full-Time RVing" and can be found at the Good Sam book store, if it isn't available in your local library. There are many things to consider when looking at this lifestyle. We have been doing it now for 8 1/2 years and we love it. But it is not a live for everyone.

PattieAM

You might want to rent an RV and take a trip, just to get your feet wet. This way you are out only the rental fee and gasoline and you can then determine whether you want to invest in a rig and full-time. As others have suggested, you might want to read some of the RV books available. Consider the places you want to visit, you might enjoy discount camping memberships, or, you might enjoy being a snow birder.

Many military installations have campgrounds which could be something to consider, and, the bases would take care of your medical. Many full-timers utilize Wal-mart for their prescriptions as they can be utilized nationwide.

vanole

Loads of good advice here from above posters. I agree with PattieAM while you are renting the townhome you may want to rent a unit whether it be a trailer or M/H to see if you like it. Seeing how you are retired military you could start at Special Services (MWR) if you live near a base or check the surrounding communities for rental units. As an example here in Va Beach at NAS Oceana they rent pop-ups and trailers up to 22'. Granted these may not be the type of unit you are looking at but at least you get a feel for what the experience could be like. You would find out quickly this way on what you just can't live without plus learn that you will have to pare down on the must have items to get within weight limits. DL's & Kirks advice on those books is spot on. I have been reading like a banchi here the past two months. Will be doing my first snowbird this winter with the M/H for 5 months. This will be my longest trip yet. Longest in the past was just over 40 days to the Maritimes.

As a retired military member also don't forget to visit your local Tricare office and explain to them what you are going to be doing. Tricare Prime and Standard are different on how they handle claims.

V/R
Jeff

onthecoach

Hi Bayou! Welcome to the Forums!!! You have asked an EXCELLENT question: What is the downside of Full-timing? DH and I have been on the road for 3+ years....we LOVE IT!!! However, nothing is perfect and these are some of the 'challenges' we have run into:
1. Equipment Failure - you always need to be aware of where you are and how you may- or may not - be able to get competent AFFORDABLE assistance. If you are able to fix most things yourself, you are WAY AHEAD of the game. I am capable to do the work, but I have found that the motorhome is constructed such that it is virtually impossible for the owner to get to the exact area of trouble.
2. Gas/Diesel prices - HUGE DOWNSIDE NOW!!! :angry:
3. WINTER - even if you do not plan to be staying somewhere cold....be prepared!!! You never know where you may end up!
4. Medical treatment is a challenge....moving around the country requires more planning in terms of keeping up with your regular doctors. You will need to plan trips back to your 'home area' even if you no longer live there in a stick home.....unless you change your residence and set up w/new docs elsewhere.
5. Electricity and Porpane - again huge costs....just keep all this in mind.
6. Site rents - if you can work camp at Campgrounds or parks....you can cut these costs way down.

Having said all that....this is the BEST lifestyle in the world! The Pros FAR outweigh the cons, in my humble opinion! I agree with everyone else who has encouraged you to try it first...and do lots and lots of research! Then, jump in the driver's seat and come say 'HI!" to all the rest of us out here!!! :laugh: