WHAT TYPE OF OIL

H2H1

TO ALL THE VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE RV TECH OUT THERE. I HAVE A QUESTION TO ASK. I bought my 2003 FleetwoodMH last Nov.it is an 8.1 gas. I now looking at changing the oil, but I really am confused on what type I should use. As of now I use GTX Castor oil in all my other vehicle, but was wanting to know if I can use the samein the MH. Right now it has just over 16,000. I would like to keep it for a long time without any motor problems, so the cost of the oil and filter isn't an option only the best will do. thanks foryour input.

ARCHER

Re: WHAT TYPE OF OIL

I'd consider synthetic oil. However, once you change, you need to continue using it from then on (or that is what I am told). I switched to synthetic oil on my 89 Winn, Chieftain that only has 18K miles. It ran cooler and i did get a little better MPG on the trip last year.

H2H1

ThanksMr. Archer any suggestion on a name brand?. Also any recommendation on the oil filter?

ARCHER

I've always been partial to Quaker State brand oil. Just a good brand filter is fine.

USMC

The best oil you can get is AMS synthetic but you have to go through a dealer to get it, I use Mobil 1 50 weight fully synthetic in my dodge 3500,it is listed in all studies as coming second behind AMS as AMS has a better wear factor but not much better.

The way they determine this is after they run an engine in studies for so many hours they tear it down and mic all the parts to ascertain how they have worn.

I have used Mobil 1 since the early 1970's and plan to continue using it, When I bought my truck new it had Shell Rotella in it and I had the dealer drain it out and put in Mobil 1 synthetic, and I also have synthetic oil in my differentials, and I understand that they are now coming out with a synthetic transmission fluid and if so I will have it in my transmission as soon as possible.

H2H1

Thanks Jim, I have heard a lot about Mobil 1 oil from other who will swear by it. I was lending to ward Castor GTX but that not a synthetic oil. so it looks like I may go to MOBIL 1. I have never heard of AMS before , and I trust you on your statement, but I do know a little about Mobil 1 so That will more than likely be theoil for me. once again thanks. also I am a veteran of Viet nam. no problem here thank God.

HOLLIES

DL Rupper

I think maybe AMS is AMSOIL. Supposed to be good stuff. I'm going to put some AMSOIL synthetic in my manual transmission as soon as I come across a dealer in my travels.

jc2

Mobil 1 syn seems to be a popular choice by many. One other type of syn to consider is Tech 2000 10w-30 sold at WalMart. Very reasonable in price and good quality.

C Nash

I use Mobil one syn in our V10 ford. Switched over at 17000. Stay with the weight recommended for your engine. Also switched the trans fluid to syn. Amsoil is probably the best but hard to get. Wal Mart sells Mobil one. Whichever you chose just be sure it's full syn

hobo

RE: WHAT TYPE OF OIL

uSED AMSOIL AND FILTERS FOR YEARS WITH NO TROUBLE AND THINGS RUN COOLER.yOU CAN GO TO THE WEB SITE AND ORDER YOUR OIL AND HAVE IT SHIPPED TO YOUR HOUSE.

DL Rupper

I'd like to order AMSOIL, but I keep moving too fast right now. Keep hoping I'll bump into a dealer. If I don't, I'll stop for a few days and order some. There are a few drawbacks to Full-Timing. NOT TOO MANY. :laugh:

benwd

Delo 15-30 is available everywhere and is recommended for diesels. I switched to it about ten years ago and use it in everything now including my lawn mower. I buy it now in five gallon buckets.