What would be your 'ultimate' road trip ?

PMILLS

As I need to conduct a net poll for a paper I'm writing on vehicle road trips,can any readers please weigh in with their creative comment/s on what would be their 'ultimate' road trip - where / who with (which doesn't have to exclusively be in an RV),assuming money was no limitation (as well as recommending any net page/s or site/s anyone has possibly seen,where this
has been discussed).

Sincerely,

Paul Mills

rv wizard

My ultimate road trip would be to go out to Alaska. Hopefully We will be able to do that someday. I would also like to follow the entire NASCAR circuit one year.

Mike, Amy, Ashley, Candi
'95 Rexhall 36' Aerbus
#3 & #8 NASCAR

fjohn56

"Ultimate Roadtrip?" The world in 3 or more yrs. Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia, New Zealand, South America Mexico, Then Home. Almost ALL the countries of the world. Don't forget your passport, and your shot boosters! Did I say 6 or more yrs?
Now, THAT would be the Ultimate Trip! You would hgave to be prepared for a lot of things, I would bet. Gas or Diesel, wouldn't really make a real difference I don't think. Some parts of the world don't have either one of those. You would have to plan carefully, and establish some checkpoints(food, fuel, spare parts) ahead of time; with the Country's permission. Anything else? Anyone?

C Nash

Starting from Alabama up the east coast to Maine, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, all the way across Canada to Alaska, down the West coast, pick up old Route 66 where possible on the way back.

Chelse L. Nash
fulltimer03@yahoo.com

Cliff

I have to agree with the Alaska trip, at least that being part of it. From Virginia, I think I'd head north to New England, then east to visit the NY Adirondak's. Continue east all the way to the Rockies, and veer or for Western Canada and the Al-Can hwy to Alaska. Take a ferry back from Alaska to Washington State, then meander down to northern California, turn east, visit Tahoe, maybe shoot toward Utah, then head south for Grand Canyon's and other National treasure's I'll never get to see living here in the east. Not much to look at in the mid-west, so probably bee-line back to Virginia from there...

In a more realistic scenario, I'd love to take a week, hit the Sky Line drive at it's northern terminus (Front Royal Virginia), follow it through the Shenandoah National Park, then stay on it as it becomes the Blue Ridge Parkway, all the way to it's southern terminus where it meet's up with the Great Smokie Mountain NP, I'd also visit that too while I was in the vicinity! Finish it up with a 2 day leisurely drive back to South East Virginia...

*C*

Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

www.gonecamping.net

C Nash

Cliff,
Wife and I did the Skyline and Blue ridge Parkway trip about 10 year ago in a tent and had a ball. Spent two weeks taking our time and enjoying the views and wildlife. Had only a two man tent, left the rv home, and really roughed it. love the mountains and cool air during the summer. Had to spend a couple nights in the blazer because of weather. Go for it!!

Chelse L. Nash
fulltimer03@yahoo.com

Kim Bodley

Being from the West Coast, our dream "road trip" would be to head north to Canada sometime in the early summer. Casually proceed across Canada revisiting some of our favorites (i.e. Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, Calgary, and Banff), seeing some of those places we've heard about but never been (Northern Great Lakes, Niagra Falls, Montreal, Nova Scotia), then as fall arrives follow the leaves down the Eastern Seaboard, with stops in Washington DC, Boston, Philadelphia, etc. Of course our southernmost stop would have to be St. Augustine, Florida. A meandering trip across the southern US would take us through Kentucky, Memphis, and New Orleans. (Perhaps a cruise up the Mississippi on a river boat.). A visit to the Grand Canyon and Mesa Verde would of course be in order. By this time we would have been on the road several months, and since this trip would encompass both my RV and my brother and sister-in-law's RV, I believe we would very likely be ready to head north. I think that we most likely would try to hug the California Coastline to a great extent and end up home before the roads get really bad!

Aw! Ain't dreamin' wonderful! If only my lottery numbers come in!!

Butch

Just one simple road trip. From the most Northern Tip of North America to the most Southern tip of South America. Several folks have done this, I haven't, as yet, dredged up the wallet fortitude. I believe this would be the ultimate road trip...

Happy Motoring, Butch
2000 Diplomat
1999 Grand Vitara+ toad

lookn-ahead

Ultimate road trip ?? Hmmmmmmm......I guess we would vote the New England states, across Canada, up the ALCAN, tour Alaska, grab a ferry back to Vancouver/Seattle, do the Western states again (off the Interstates) and head back South to home. Glacier Nat Pk is a must on this trip as well as the Black Hills, Yellowstone and the Tetons.
Maybe Las Vegas if that could be done in early winter.

fjohn56

Hello! :) I'm somewhat surprised that there wasn't any response to my "around the world" ultimate trip. What would be wrong about it? Don't any of you want to see the world? especially in your RV/ MH? I think it would be a great idea to do that'cuz of the people you could and would meet and the friends to make. Please don't get me wrong, the USA is a great country, but aren't you curious as to WHY everyone seems to be angry with us? Not that I would want any of us to be part of a riot or anything like that. This is a great big world and I, for one, would like to see it; in my own way and in my own time.
Not like the guided tours that rush you around in 3 weeks, and then home. The whole idea is to absorb some of the culture and try to understand where your hosts are coming from; and vice versa.
At least, that is what I think. I really do believe that this would be the "Ultimate" road trip. John
Any comments would be appreciated! :)

Edited by - fjohn56 on Aug 13 2002 11:53:26 AM

Memoryof3theMan

quote:
My ultimate road trip would be to go out to Alaska. Hopefully We will be able to do that someday. I would also like to follow the entire NASCAR circuit one year.

Mike, Amy, Ashley, Candi
'95 Rexhall 36' Aerbus
#3 & #8 NASCAR

C Nash

Agree with you fjohn56. If we walked in the other mans shoes we may understand them better. Don't read me wrong WE LIVE IN THE GREATEST COUNTRY EVER but, I am sure we have made a mistake or two along the way. As far as the NASCAR circuit Memoryof3theMan, It'll just never be the same and I think you know what I mean!
The ultimate trip for me right now would be ANY WHERE!!

Chelse L. Nash
fulltimer03@yahoo.com

Kim Bodley

I don't disagree that "Around the World" would be a wonderful experience, however, while seeing Paris, London, Hong Kong, and Sydney, would be great - I would like to really visit the parts of this country that I've only flown over, or stopped at on business.

Sure, Europe, Asia, Africa, and Australia hold a fascination, but frankly when it comes to travel in a foreign country, I would opt for a guided tour or perhaps an exchange program through Friendship Force (which, if your desire is to experience other countries and really get to know the people and their culture this is an excellent organization!).

It seems to me that we think we have seen the good ole USA if we flew over it once. In my opinion, that is one of the best things about owning an RV - it gets you out of the resort hotels and airports! So, while I do hope to see the rest of the world someday, I think I'll start with terra firma!

Edited by - Kim Bodley on Aug 16 2002 3:43:21 PM

fjohn56

Hello! Just thought that I would put this up front again, and see if we can get others to respond. I LIKE THIS TOPIC!!!! :)

C Nash

John,
Right now my ultimate trip would be just ANYWHERE!!

ur1derful2

We took our ultimate trip in 1972 when we were still young and had enough money to do it. We spent 40 days and nights traveling the West. We left Illinois, went through all of the states west of the Mississippi River except North Dakota, and also went to Calgary and Banff. Our only regret was that we did not go to Alaska. Gas prices averaged about 30 cents and we never spent more than $4 a night to camp. We had a self-contained pickup camper, got about 10 mpg, and saw things that I knew we would never see again. Now that the children are grown, I would like to retrace that trip. The entire trip cost us less than $1200 and that included t-shirts from every college that we came near and all other souvenirs. Our parents and friends thought we were crazy. Now they are all envious that we have done what they wish they could do. In 1971, we had spent three weeks touring the east coast. People were really friendly and helpful. KOAs in those days had no shade because they were so new. Our children grew up camping and still would go with us if we allowed them to do so. Now we use a Suburban to pull a 30 foot Jayco and get about 9 mpg. We are both retired but have no wish to go fulltiming. You meet the best people camping.