whats in an engine

hailo

ok guys i am being torn in different directions. i am being told different thing by different peaple. so i will post up here and ask.
we have pulled the engine from the coach but i am being told its a vortec motor, then some one lese said yes its a chevy motor home engine.
i have tried to find the specs or parts list for this paricular motor and nothing. i have even spoke to chevy twice and was given two different answers.
this is what i was told from one:
heavy duty valves
case hardened crank
the other said
its had an rv camshaft(and that was it)
this is what i know
7.4l v8 but not sure of the vortec or anything else.
so my question is
how do i find out what parts i need to replace or rebuild the motor?
this is in a 34 foot
1996 fleetwood southwind widebody
sorry for it being so long winded

C Nash

Re: whats in an engine

Anthony, there should be an engine number stamped on one side on the flange right under and in front of the head. Crank should also have a stamped number on it. Any good chevy dealer should be able to take these and tell you what you have. Same with the heads. There are numbers stamped on them. I dont think the MH engines were built any different from heavy duty tr engine. The heavy duty tr engines just develope more torque at a lower rpm. JMO

H2H1

Re: whats in an engine

Anthony I have a 2003 South wind with a Chevy workhorse engine.The engine is 8.1 Vortec. I don't know if this helps or not. Maybe Workhorse up graded to this later on after your was built. But follow what Nash has stated and you will be ok.

hailo

RE: whats in an engine

ok thank you so much guys. i just spoke with my pops he has already dropped the engine off at the shop doing the rebuild. so i will call them to get the #'s.

G

if u dropped the engine off at a good machine shop ,, they will tell u what u have ,, and so forth ,, also IMO i would have them get u a list of all they did to the motor ,, as in size of rod bearings ,, cranks bearings ,, and how much if any they had to shave off the heads ,, it will help u in the future if ever needed ,, but JMO
:) :) :)

wildbuckaroo

Hi there, I have worked at GM dealer for many years all you need is your vin number off of the motor home and they can find out what it is. Also some of them will have a build sheet that came with them, if you can find a paper with a bunch of numbers on it that don't make much sense bingo, it will help a lot for parts. Good luck.