what's the life span of a diesel truck

hertig

Re: what's the life span of a diesel truck

Depends on how you treat it and what you use it for. A good diesel engine well maintained and treated should go several hundred thousand miles. For the rest of the truck, 200K miles without major overhauls is not out of the question.

C Nash

What brand? Depands on how they have been cared for. If it's been serviced regulary and cared for they should go 300k but again might depend on year and make. Need more info.

C Nash

Guess we were answering about the same time John but you beat me to it :)

DL Rupper

My first Dodge diesel lasted 8 years 210,000 miles and I sold it for $10,000. My second Dodge diesel is at 80,000 miles, 4 years old and I expect it to last another 10 years. Stay away from older 6.0L Ford Power Strokes. They had lots of engine problems. :(

grannylinda

We are considering fulltiming and will need to move up with a larger towing truck to pull a 5th wheel. My husband says he wants to research all diesel trucks (Ford or Dodge) and it will be the last one he buys. We are planning on making the leap sometime in late '08 or early '09...so any advice is appreciated. I have done some research on the web via RV models but would appreciate any suggestions. We only have one drawback..my husband is 6'5" and we must have the bathroom completely closed off from the bedroom. Thanks for your help..this is my first post.

Grandview Trailer Sa

grannylinda,
If you are researching "all diesel trucks", don't over look GM's Duramax.

Gulf Stream has a Sedona Edition with a side isle bath. We also sell SunnyBrook, which has lots of models with the side isle bathroom.

Randy Paul

RE: what's the life span of a diesel truck

Got my first Dodge Diesel, a 1997 with a cummins, with 200,000 miles on it. I lost it to a fire which burnt it to the ground. Been told it spilled out oil out the dipstick tube. Repalced with a Ford 450 with a 6.0. Had new motor at 44,000 miles and several heads and egr cooler through 100.000 miles. Ran into a non Ford DEALER mechanic who was able to tell me what to do my truck. He advised a K & N Filter and a 4" exhaust (leave out the catalitic converter) and put on a non-restricted muffler and lower the exhaust temp about 350 degrees. I did so and haven't had to go back to the Ford Dealer since. I now have 260,000 and it runs great. Change your oil/filter every 5000 miles, trany fluid and filter every 30,000, fuel filters every 30,000 miles and you'll get a lot of miles out of it. Remeber to go by your owner manuel. I know two guys who have over 700,000 miles on their Ford E250 with 7.3 diesels. Any further questions rpgens@hotmail.com

DL Rupper

Hey grannylinda, welcome to the forum. You are in luck, many of the new 5th wheels are offering floor plans with side baths now. They are complete inclosed bathrooms seperate from the bedroom. We have one in our 1995 HitchHiker, but for many years the manufacturer's didn't have sidebath floor plans.

USMC

I have a Dodge 3500 and the emissions light keeps coming on, I have kept it serviced right, I have changed the filters but it keeps coming on anyone else have this problem just wondering. Later Jim :question:

DL Rupper

Hey Jim, I don't think my "03" even has an emissions control light. I know I don't have a catalytic convertor on it.
Maybe someone else knows something about it. I do know my Dodge dealer charges $65 just to hook up the diagnostic computer to the engine, so hopefully you can avoid that if someone has any expertise on the subject.

Come to think of it, maybe my Dodge diesel smoke does smell better because it doesn't have the catalytic convertor hooked to the exhaust system. :laugh:

hertig

You an buy a diagnostic computer for about $20 dollars (blink codes and paper charts) or pay more and get one which tells you a number or I think even one which will display the problem. Should have a selection anywhere which sells auto parts (Autozone, Checker, Sears, Pep Boys, etc)

G

ok ,, DL u let out u'r secret ,, and now i'm gonna post it all over the internet,,,, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :clown:

USMC

Thanks for the information, would the catalytic converter be the only culprit that could cause that problem? I have never used one of those diagnostic tools but I understand that Auto zone has them that you can pay a deposit on and when you bring it back they refund your deposit, I may give that a try, if it is accurate it might be cheaper way to go than a dealer. thanks ;)

C Nash

No way of knowing without at least a code USMC. Even with a code you generally have to go with more test to isolate the problem. The diagnostic toll is not a fix in itself. It is just another tool to aid in finding the problem. It will lead you to the system that has the problem. Sometimes taking to a knowledgable mechanic can be cheaper than just parts replacing using the shotgun method. Most Auto Zones and other part stores around here will pull the codes free.