What's your biggest peave about living in RV parks?

The longest we've been in our little 24 foot Class C is around 2 weeks. Any longer and we'd be dealing with homicidal impulses. It's too small for long term living, even for a single person.

Mostly I found park life rather low-stress and enjoyable. Any really bad problems the parks usually move fast to address them.

What I'm wondering is if there's anything that wears on your nerves after being a full timer a while that might not bother you vacation camping?

What issues wear you down over time or did you find a niche with your gypsy lifestyle?

Does the typical ambient noise of a campground ever get to you? Especially in the summer?

Do you ever get nostalgic for a home base? We can always drop the 5th wheel near family and hang out with them. So we can visit permanence if we miss it.

Once we sell this place we'll have no bills, other than what we incur for space rental, even our cell phones are pre-paid. We have enough money coming in to cover those comfortably. So money won't be a stress.

utmtman

Re: What's your biggest peave about living in RV parks?

What bothers me in parks also bothers me in camping and that is loud stereos, fighting, and children without adult supervision or should I say lack of parenting. I have lived in at least half a dozen parks for times exceeding two weeks and going to as longs as six months. The park we are in now we will have been here 7 months or more by the time we get moving again come spring. But this rv is our only home and will be until such a time as the wife or I can no longer travel. And the wife is saying we will just park it permanently when that time comes and still live in it. Only time will tell.

Kirk

We have been on the road full-time now for just a month short of ten years. We love the lifestyle, but we do tire of commercial RV parks. For that reason we do not spend that much of our time in them. Most issues come from the closeness of the sites one to the next. We do find that adults only parks have far fewer issues than do those with everyone if you stay for an extended period.

To avoid these close quarters, we spend a lot of time in state parks, COE parks and other public agencies. We also spend large amounts of time working in volunteer positions which supply a free site, but that are not in a public campground. This not only saves a great deal fo money but the sites are always roomy and well separated from others. Most places have only one or two sites, a few have more with the largest volunteer village that we have stayed in having 16 sites. With such small groups you normally become close friends with those you live with.

C Nash

Mine is pet owners that let their pets wash your post or do the other in your site or near even though most will pick up. Just not very appitizing if you are eating lunch or just lounging out under your canopy. Barking dogs can also be annoying when left in rvs while owner is away.

H2H1

all the others are pees are good, but I can tolerate most. But my is having to come back home so soon. I would love to stay out for at least 5-6 months every year, but my income want allow it :( . But never the less I love what time I am out. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

So far no surprises. I've found a big fan covers a multitude of annoyances and any loud noises at night are usually addressed pretty quickly. But I hear what you're saying about the space between units.

We may start out at a commercial park, but we'll be looking for alternatives. The adult-only is a good thought, I didn't realize there were such parks. That's very attractive. I just don't want to get into one that wants to make us skirt our 5th wheel or something silly like that.

Once we go we'll be able to stay out indefinitely...once we figure out our mailing address. Mail is turning out to be the tricky issue. It would be nice to keep our TN residency until we can relocate to FL. We got married in FL and my parents live there, so that would be the logical place. Plus services for people who live on their boats means there are support services for full timers available.

I should say we'll be able to stay out until the desire for room and stability calls us back to a landed lifestyle.

CRAZYCOYOTE

my biggest pet peave is when the camp host is a kratchity coot. or one who is on a power trip! Come on just enjoy what your doing, if you cant then maybe you should find something else to do, if you don't like kids having a good time then it would behoove you to get into an all adult resort or park.Im sorry if this offends anyone has it was not intended to! just my 2 cents worth

G

Well i agree ,, kids running around being kids ,, don't bother me one bit ,, and one other thing ,, IN SSB they have golf carts that cruise after dark till quiet time ,, and some of the people bitch about that ,, now come on ,, they are electric ,, how much noise can they make ??? i for one do not care nor do i worry about what others are doing at the CG ,, none of my bussiness ,, if they are having a fun as me ,, so be it ,, they paid for their spot just like i did ,, so who am i to complain about their kids ,, or pets ,, it makes for some entertainment ,, both of those can really be entertaining ,, but till i grow old and gray ,, and live for the sillent CG's ,, IMO that is the time to give it up ,, nothing more to live for but ,, a day at the house :approve: :approve:

utmtman

Noise isnt a problem as long as its not so loud you cannot listen to your own radio or tv. Here where I am at now there is a man two doors away who plays his tv thru a stereo system and also his stereo so loud I honestly have trouble hearing my own tv. I have had to go so far as to cut his power to get his attention. One day we beat on his door and walls and he did not respond so we cut the power and he came out and we told him to cut it down some. Lately he's been pretty decent about it. When I was at North Cascades National Park summer before last we had a campground that was always having someone complain because it was along a lake shore the people figured they could party all day with boom boxes that could be heard more than a block away. I enjoy a good party but when it disturbs others than its going too far. And I too like kids but not when they go around teasing others dogs or throwing rocks at wildlife, running thru anothers camp site, or walk around with a boom box blasting loud enough to disturb others naps or television or reading and so on. If they want it that loud buy head phones.

brodavid

been over the USA and Canada, most was nice and decent, A few drew raw nerves, the most problem was kids and teenagers out after 12 am playing , screaming, and causing trouble, most places have security or manager on duty, so the problems sttle themselves.

All within what I was expecting. We accept up front that many times we're sharing a collective space with people on vacation. I'm working on a bluetooth system to transmit TV sound to a wireless receiver fitted with noise canceling headphones. That way we can enjoy movies at any volume we choose without bothering the neighbors and without being hampered by wires. And the flip side of that coin is that set up completely masks any outside noises.

I've also edited together a long mix of ocean waves that I can loop on the computer. It's very soothing and the white noise is pretty good at masking ambient sounds.

The power tripping park manager. Well, not much you can do about that except come here and warn your buddies on the RV forum to avoid that park. It must be rare because we've stayed at many parks and never experienced that problem. In fact, most of the time, the park people are super nice.

SnowbirdInFlight

thrant2.gif

I hate it when people think just because it is shorter to go through your campsite
thcamping-1.gif
to get to the shower house, that they have that right! Come on people that's the same as you walking through my house! As far as I am concerned when I pay MY good money to rent a space at a campground, it becomes my home and therefore, no one should come walking through it without being invited.

This happened to us at Hurlbert Field FamCamp in Florida one year. This guy thought just because it was closer to the shower house by cutting through our site gave him that right. When I nicely mentioned that there was an alternative route that would have taken him on the other side of our trailer so he wouldn't be going through our main outside 'living area', he just didn't give a darn. He said he had been using that route when the site was empty and basically told us he continued to use it! So we parked our truck and set up our BBQ grill and picnic area in such a way that made it impossible to go that route unless he wanted to go under the truck or climb over the BBQ grill or picnic table. Of course when we were gone he probably still used it but at least while we were outside sitting on the patio he couldn't go that way. :evil:

Of course kids do this a lot, but I can forgive that. Although any parent teaching their kids how to camp should also tell them how to respect other campers space.

thrant1.gif

USMC

RE: What's your biggest peave about living in RV parks?

On about 3 occasions I have been camped next to families that are just in the area for a couple weeks working a construction job and when they leave for work in the morning they tie there dogs out side and when you walk out to walk your dogs there dog starts growling and barking and lurching at you on the leash.

If you want to set out on your patio it is impossible as the dogs bark continuously at you, so your only option is to stay inside.

From what I have witnessed from park host if you say anything they will warn the person and that is about as far as it goes, those with this couple weeks work scenario figure you will be moving on soon and they don't worry about it they just deal with the next person that moves into your camp site the way they dealt with you.

If they are only there working for a week or so, unless the park host kicks them out right away, they will nurse this situation until they move out and they could care less about any other campers because chances are they will never be back again anyway.
disapprove:

RE: What's your biggest peave about living in RV parks?

On about 3 occasions I have been camped next to families that are just in the area for a couple weeks working a construction job and when they leave for work in the morning they tie there dogs out side and when you walk out to walk your dogs there dog starts growling and barking and lurching at you on the leash.

I don't get why those people never think about a kennel for their dogs? Tying your dog up outside is an accident waiting to happen. If the dog got loose, bit someone even while tied up, the owner and the park would be in serious trouble. Hard to believe they let them do that.

pipelinemama

We have stayed at rv parks from 2-weeks, to 6 months the longest. We have a kid so we prefer to stay at parks that have kids to play with. My biggest peeves are people that refuse to obey posted speed limits knowing there are children running around! After that it would be parents that don't parent, they just throw their kids outside and expect everyone else to deal with them all day. It's fine if they are well-mannered kids but that is frequently not the case with that type of parent. Especially with grade-school age kids!