What's your recommended roof caulk/sealant?

rodskid

Our new to us 1984 Coachmen Catalina Class C has been well cared for but the roof caulking is showing signs of cracking. What's caulk or sealant would you recommend for avoiding future leaks? Thanks to all who respond.

Glenn NK

Re: What's your recommended roof caulk/sealant?

If it's a rubber roof on your RV, there is a special sealant made for these. It comes in a standard size tube to fit into a caulking gun. DO NOT use anything but this product for rubber roofs - it is flexible and will stay that way for a long time (and it matches the rubber). I would think any RV dealer would stock this material.

EDIT: If the roof has previously been repaired by using silicone sealant, you should completely remove this first.

My class A is nine years old and the surface of the rubber sealant looked very bad, so I started by carefully scraping the old stuff off/out. When I got in a bit, I discovered that the sealant just below the surface was still pliable, soft and in good condition. Typically people use too much of the sealant, and it is often laid on in big gobs.

rodskid

The roof is metal. The original sealant is rock hard and gray but cracking. Can the self leveling be applied over top of the original? Thanks Glenn NK and Grandview for responding!

C Nash

I would remove all the old and make sure the area is clean.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Self Leveling is designed for rubber roofs, but it will seal metal also. It will stay pliable for several years.

H2H1

well as I was washing the roof of the MH and on 3 r 4 screws holding down the skylight the sealant came off. But after a complete washing I was so tried I didn't feel like going to the store to get a tube of sealant. So in the morning I will go and get some self leveling sealant and do a complete reseal job. I know this site has helps me decide to get the right type. thanks guys

C Nash

Hollis, be sure the MH is not parked on a steep incline :eek: :laugh: Remember the sealent is self leveling :laugh: ;) :evil:

C Nash

Aw now Hollis, I thought sure you would get a laugh outta my joke :(

H2H1

welllll I just thought you thought I dumb and would flip it over to put the sealant on the roof. :laugh: :laugh: :approve: :)

G

Roger ,, how do u think i work on the roofs of these things ,, climb up with a ladder???? :eek: :blush: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

jc2

RE: What's your recommended roof caulk/sealant?

rodskid - 9/8/2008 5:53 AM

Our new to us 1984 Coachmen Catalina Class C has been well cared for but the roof caulking is showing signs of cracking. What's caulk or sealant would you recommend for avoiding future leaks? Thanks to all who respond.

Have you considered using Eternabond Tape for those roof areas needing caulk?
http://www.bestmaterials.com/roof_repair.aspx
A 4inch x25 or 50ft roll would do.