Wheel Grease

JGS

There seems to be a lot of grease in our wheels. Should there be this much? I am going to try to attach a picture. It is not super clear but does show how much is in there. As well, we have black plastic coverings around the nuts that are very hard to get off. Does someone have something better?

JGS

Re: Wheel Grease

There is a problem attaching a picture so I will try to explain. We opened the main cap, then you get to the rubber cap and then when you open that up the entire area is filled with grease. Is that the way it is supposed to be?

Thanks everyone.

DARLING

I don't seem to get what you are saying. Is this on an axel for a trailer/dolly? Is all the grease inside the rubber cap?

If all the grease is inside in rubber cap, then yes you are supposed to have that much grease.

If I have misunderstood what you are asking, then please rephrase.

Thanks Darlin :cool:

H2H1

If I understand you right then what you are looking at is the bearing grease. and yes it should be lots of it. The cap is there to keep it inside. I hope I helped you out. good luck :laugh:

JGS

Yes, you have helped. It just seemed like a lot of grease! There are so many things to consider being a first time RVer, so thank you for your time.

G

Joyce ,, as others have said yes there should be that much grease ,, but in the cap can be confusing ,, is this on a tt or a MH ???? sometimes the grease likes to throw it self around ,, the bearings somtimes have little to no grease on them ,, if it's a tt then i hope u have bearing buddies ,, these are a type of thingy that u can grease the bearings with a grease gun ,, without tearing the whole thing apart ,, now on a MH u have 2 types a grease type bearing ,, and a type called an oil bath ,, if it's an oil bath ,, then u should see a little ,, kinda clear plug on u'r front wheels ,, and there should be a level indicator ,, but since u already said u had grease in the cup ,, then u gotta grease type ,, i hope i didn't confuse u anymore ,,, sorry if i did .. ;) :) :) :)

Grandview Trailer Sa

Bearing Buddies are designed for BOAT trailers. Trailers that go in and out of the water a lot, not campers. Do not install them.

The correct amout of grease is correct. Too much causes problems.

JGS

Well, first off, I have put a signature on like everyone else so that it is easier to figure out what I am talking about! Yes, I am talking about a fifth wheel. When you look straight on the wheel there is a cap in the centre. We removed that and then there is another cap, which is rubber, and when we remove that there is a great deal of grease in there. It's kind of confusing though because I read you can get too much grease and then you have problems with it getting on your brakes. I know nothing about cars but am trying to learn very FASSSST.

Grandview Trailer Sa

When you remove the rubber center off the dust cover, you will see grease. That is normal.

Since you have said rubber cap, that tells me you have eze-lube axles. If you stick your finger in the middle, you will feel a grease zert. Trust me, do not use it to pack your bearings. If you do, it will put too much grease in and could cause major problems. Heat makes the grease expand, the rear seal blows because of the pressure, the grease gets into the brake shoes and drums. Then you have a huge cash layout to fix all that. Believe me, I have seen it over and over and fixed a lot of them.

From what you say, everything sounds normal and you should be fine. When you need to repack the bearings, take the hub apart and pack each bearing individually. Down the road you will be much better off. Axle manufactures don't like eze-lube axles either and say repack the bearings "Once a year, or 12,000 miles."

JGS

Thanks Ken. I'll let "my man" stick his fingers in the grease! I appreciate your time.

Joyce