where can a cat ride while travelling

edfrank

Is it okay to leave the cat in the 5th wheel while we drive? My wife believes since we wouldn't do this with a person we shouldn't do it with the cat. But I think the cat would be much happier in the 5th wheel than in a cat box in the truck. What do you think about this? My wife is very stubborn and insists that the safest way to travel with an animal is when it's in a pet carrier.

fulltimer5er

Were fulltimers and we travel with a dog a cat and a bird they all co exsist rideing in the fifth wheel the dog has the bed the cat has the recliner and the bird has his cage if it gets to hot we stop and lite off the gen and turn on the small air cond

hertig

We carried our cats in the truck with us. They loved to lay on the dash in the sun. Litter box in a cat crate on the rear seat and a non-spillable water dish on the floor behind the front seats (obviously, this was with an extended cab).

RR614

I believe a person can ride in a 5r as long as you have communication to the driver. As for the cat. . . they can make themselves comfortable anywhere.

turnipbwc

Since you say your wife is stubborn, put the cat on the front seat and your wife in the 5th wheel. :laugh:

ARCHER

so put her in the carrier and in the back seat.....sorry, just could not resist adding a comment.

SnowbirdInFlight

The cat would be more comfortable in the 5th wheel than a dog. A cat is so independent it will cherish the time alone where a dog would be lonesome and need company.

hertig

Note that a 5th wheel is an often un-shock-absorbered wooden or aluminum box on the freeway behind a Carbon Monoxide generator. Having a loved person or animal in it increases their risk from the crazies and other dangers out there, as well as sending them airborne every time it hits a bump and increasing their chances of CO poisoning.

When the cats went from 2 to 7, we converted the underbed storage area to a 'cat house'. They seemed ok with that, since it was over the truck bed and seemed to benefit from the truck shocks. We tried a wireless baby monitor, but the backgound noise made that useless. The next step would have been a video system. but that is no longer an issue with the motorhome.

If you have a person riding in the 5ver, make sure you have communications, and they should stick to the part of the trailer over the truck bed as much as possible. Check with the laws too; in some places it is just not allowed. It would be a real good idea to have a CO detector in there too.

s.harrington

My cat loves to ride on the dash of our Motorhome when we go traveling with her. It takes her a while to get used to riding so what we do is put her carrier on the bed so that she can crawl in when ever something makes her nervous (ie. pot & pan rattle, stove top rattle,ect). Once she is used to that she gets up on the dash and lays in there watching the world go by.

WildWillyToo

Sorry...I just can't resist this....

The best place for a cat is in the oven!!
Then when you arrive at your destination, add a little sauce and, YUMMIE...spare ribs!!!

Buddyboy

Dear Camperjerk, I mean tech, perhaps if you don't have anything to say that's intelligent you shouldn't reply at all. Comments of your nature are just ignorant and very sick. There are many animal lovers out there that I'm sure are just disgusted with your comment.

bldrbob

Ya campertech that's insensitive.Thats why I didn't suggest duct tape on the front bumper.

turnipbwc

You can tell Buddykid, I mean boy is new to the forum. I am a animal lover with a dog and two goats but I still like to joke around. Life is to short, lighten up. :laugh:
turnip

SideShow

I have found the eaisest way to travel with a cat is. Open a full bag of food and 2 big bowls of water next to eachother. Tell the cat to be good and lock the doors to the house. When you get back from the trip the cat will be so glad to see you again you wont be able to keep it away from you. Works for Me anyways.