Where to go in Massachusetts

itsallmine

I am new on this forum and need some advice. I just bought a 19 foot travel trailer, and would like to camp around Massachusetts. It is just me and the dog that is a 50 pound golden retriever. I'm looking for something decent that allows dogs in the park as well as the ability to go hiking with her. I am also a radio amateur, and would like something with a little bit of space that I could put up a small wire antenna and enjoy the radio as well. I'm not looking to travel very far which is why would like to stay in Massachusetts for now. Thank you all very much, and I am enjoying reading the posts on this forum very much.

itsallmine

exnav

Hey there!
Well, my advise is to add only an hour or so to your driving and stay in Vermont, New Hampshire or Maine, depending on where you live. Anyone from northern New England that isn't from Mass will agree with me. Its just over all better camping. Nicer people, cleaner campgrounds, and way less traffic. of course, this is just one mans opinion.

Ed H.

Where are you? There are several good places to go in Mass. I have stayed at several campgrounds on Cape Cod, one near Sturbridge, and live in southern Berkshire County. Let me know where you would consider not too far and I might be able to help.

itsallmine

Thanks for your reply. I am just north of Boston. Since I made my initial post, I was thinking of just going to some of the state parks in the area. They seem like they have a good selection, and campsites with water and electric lookup are going for about $15 for Massachusetts residents. The sounds like a good deal, don't you think? What do you think of the state parks in the area?

itsallmine

Thanks for your reply. I am just north of Boston. Since I made my initial post, I was thinking of just going to some of the state parks in the area. They seem like they have a good selection, and campsites with water and electric lookup are going for about $15 for Massachusetts residents. The sounds like a good deal, don't you think? What do you think of the state parks in the area?

Ed H.

I haven't visited the parks in that area, but the ones I have been to have been good. The reasonable price is reflected in the lack of luxuries, but the scenery is usually worth the price several times over.
Just one suggestion, though, call ahead and check on the rules re: dogs and radio equipment. Nothing can spoil a trip faster that finding out the rules after the fact.
When you are ready to go farther, I would recomend Nickerson State park in Brewster. No hookups last I knew, but a really nice place to stay and it's on the RailTrail so there's easy (and safe) foot or bicycle access to other places. If you plan to venture west, let me know as Berkshire county is my stomping ground.

dramatic1

Hi Ed

We are 2nd year campers in southern mass and would like your recomendation on a nice spot central or western mass, prememorial day if possible. good bicycling or walking would be nice. we got a 30' class A but havent towed a dingy yet.

I would recomend Bourne Scenic if you like to fish the cape cod canal or bike/hike all the way to the other side at Scusset Beach campground that lets you stay for free preseason if you are self contained. Nice beach also but tough to get in in the summer.

Ed

Ed H.

Hi dramatic1,
In the town of Whales, there is a campgroud called Oak Haven ((413) 245-7148) that we have stayed at a coule of times. Not too far from Old Sturbridge Village, nice place, good facilities.
Farther west, there is Laurel Ridge in Otis ((800) 538-CAMP). I have never stayed therre, just used to fix their ice machine, but I have wanted to. Nice side roads, on the reservoir...second homes galore (Otis is the only town where second homes truly outnumber primary ones).
At the extreme west is prospect Lake Park in Egremont. (413) 528-4158. Nice back roads for walking or biking, not far from Gt. Barrington with all kinds of restraunts, stores & entertainment.
Lanesborough has Hidden Valley Campground ((413) 447-9419) . I've never been there, but it is at the foot of Mt. Greylock, the tallest mountain in the state.
There is also Historic Valley Campground in North Adams ((413) 662-3198) . I haven't stayed there either, but it is just acouple of miles from Mass MoCA and in the next town over is the Stering and Francine Clark art museum with some really interresting pieces dating back a few centuries.
I guess it just is a matter of what your interrests are as to where to go. Give me an idea of what you like to do and I can make some other recomendations.
Ed

CliffHay

RE: Where to go in Massachusetts

I know it's too late for this camper, but in case anyone checks this string out in the future, I wanted to go on record with a recommendation.

We spend pretty much all summer each year at NORMANDY FARMS. It is located in Foxoro, MA. According to numerous critics and camping associations, it is the highest-rated campground in New England. Last year it was ranked one of the top ten most sought after camping destinations in the World.

They have 4 pools (one inside), they are year-around, lots of security, an 18-hole frisbee golfcourse cut into woods, hiking in those woods, they have a large rec hall, and an unbelievable amount of organized events going on all the time.

Check out their web-site.

hertig

Re: Where to go in Massachusetts

We spent a week at the Winter Island park, on, oddly enough, Winter Island. This is right off the coast from Salem, MA. It's kind of one big parking lot, but quiet, and you are right on the ocean. We could spit into it from our site. When it was time to leave, we hated to go. The only thing I didn't like is that there is no dump on the island. The Salem wastewater management plant is right at the entrance to the island, and they have an arrangement to allow Island visitors to dump there free. So staying there 1 tank of sewage worth is great. More would be a hassle.

Roadtreker50

Re: Where to go in Massachusetts

As CliffHay said, it might be too late for the original poster, but a good thing about this forum is the amazing amount of ifo available for future use.

A really good MA state park is located just above Boston... Salisbury State Park. Great scenery and ocean beaches. excellent kite flying :)

Its funny about destinations - Itsallmine is looking for a park in his (her) backyard, I'm planning to go back to Salisbury later this summer. I'm in a tourist town - Saratoga Springs, NY - folks come here and we bug out!