Which 5th wheeler? Can you help me out here guys?

The Englishman

We are planning to go FT and for the job we are looking at a fifth wheeler. We have upto $40k to spend on the unit and surplus for a mule truck to pull it with. We have seen dozens on the Internet and read equally dozens of reviews, some good and some not so good and even contradictory postings.

However, we need a comfortable 5th wheeler that has a track record and opined by those that have one of them. What can you guys suggest?

C Nash

Re: Which 5th wheeler? Can you help me out here guys?

Are you looking at new or used units? You can probably find a good high end used for 40 or a mid level new in this price range.

The Englishman

I dont mid although I would prefer a new one with the warranties, guarantees and all the bells and whistles that comes with new stuff. We haveconcluded that if this is going to be a new life then lets start new. The problem we have is that there are so many and we have not seen any or heard any personal experience reviews.

With new you get bombarded by marketing hype and when you buy in the rhetoric falls away and the rain comes in. I dont want anyone saying "...you didnt know about these lemons?". It has to be a good quality and no bunk beds, that space is for storage. It cant be one that needs a semi to pull but equally a Ford Ranger mule would determine it will be too small and/or tinny.

I need a great shower and comfort. Buttons and hydraulics not muscle and sweat and we need TV, Internet and them sorts of 'neccessities'.

In England we had a Buccanneer which ranked in the top 5 of brands and it was PERFECT in every way. We paid more than some but got back much, much more than most. We want the same here if we can.

Sorry to be so irksome but we are too old to get this wrong - We want to start really living.

C Nash

What size are you planning on? You might find a Montana, Sunnybrook near this price range but none of the top end will be anywhere near this IMO. Gulfstream makes a Parie Scooner and maybe GTS will advise you on one of these units but don't think you can get it for anywhere near that price. Most of the upper ends I have seen run it the 70s and up for the larger units. I would also look into the Artic Fox and Nash units. Any perticular unit you are looking at? Do a search on Forest River units here. Good luck

Grandview Trailer Sa

We have a 2008 Sunnybrook Brookside 349 FWSB in stock. MSRP is over 41K. We have it on the lot for $31,500. It is a triple slide 5th wheel with all the options available at the time except for a TV. Full Aluminum Frame, 10 gallon WH, 8 Cu. Ft. refer., and LOTS more. Don't usually "sell" here, but wanted you to know what can be gotten. Look at my profile and go to my web site to see pictures of this trailer.

The Englishman

Got to have a TV! She has to see them butts at Wimbledon every year - For me, my TV is my window and the picture Mother Nature paints every morning.

It has to have a great shower, great sleeping space and a comfortable living space. We need 36" + wide access routes and no Cat hydraulic pumps to set us up on a new pitch. Easy peasy lemon squeezy all round is what we need.

Im not that 23 yr old I shared with many any more that remember them times. Buttons are good enough and cell phones when they dont do what they say on the label. Ive done the complicated, electronic sooper dooper stage - I just want an easy life here on in for me and my Princess but we want to be comfortable and full time winter and summer.

:)

Grandview Trailer Sa

This trailer is wired for the roof top antenna, cable and Satellite. I said I did not order it with the TV, of course one can be installed. It is also wired for telephone. This trailer is 34' 10" in length. It is about 15' wide with both rear slides are out. It has a big neo-angled shower in a side isle bathroom. The bed slides out for the 3rd slide with plenty of room up there. This is one nice trailer that fits your budget.

I should add:
fullaluminum frame
enclosed underbelly
Z framing gives you huge underbelly storage
LOTS more

The Englishman

RE: Which 5th wheeler? Can you help me out here guys?

We have seen a lot of RV's with a 'Lite' incorporated into the brand name eg a Trailblazer Super Lite etc etc. Others do not incorporate this 'Lite' bit - Are these summer weekender jobbies or entry level as their price levels often suggest?

C Nash

IMO if they are lite they had to cut corners somewhere. You can generally tell by just walking in them. The floors will give more than the regular waight rvs. GTS can probably add better knowledge in this area

The Englishman

Thanks for your input guys but 'she' has picked out a McKenzie Medallion. Its big. its gutsy and it has a TV/Internet gizmo

We're gonna be on the road soon and I cant wait to sip a Bud with you guys - You're the best
Thanks

CU soon :)

C Nash

Congrats on the McKenzie Englishman. :) Got to keep the "shes" happy so go with what they like. :) Enjoy and keep us posted on the maiden voyage. :approve:

krautdog

The Englishman - 11/19/2008 8:49 PM

Thanks for your input guys but 'she' has picked out a McKenzie Medallion. Its big. its gutsy and it has a TV/Internet gizmo

We're gonna be on the road soon and I cant wait to sip a Bud with you guys - You're the best
Thanks

CU soon :)

A bud? what about a nice pint of Fullers ESB or perhaps a Boddington ?