Which fifth wheels are best for full-timing ?

taichiman

Plans are to purchase a fifth wheel some time towards the end of summer. Have looked at many different types.

1)which ones are best for full-timing?

2)does a list of full-timing rigs exist--anywhere?

3)are there any problems with Tetons?

Thanks for whatever light anyone could shed on these questions.

peaceful

quote:Originally posted by taichiman

Plans are to purchase a fifth wheel some time towards the end of summer. Have looked at many different types.

1)which ones are best for full-timing?

2)does a list of full-timing rigs exist--anywhere?

3)are there any problems with Tetons?

Thanks for whatever light anyone could shed on these questions.

peaceful

There are several lines which are good for "fulltiming". Now a lot of it is like choosing between Ford & Chevy. Carriage, Teton, Alfa, Travel Supreme are just a few. Remember people fulltime in everything from tents to $500,000.00 motor homes. We're happy in ours. John Doe might not be. Don't forget some of the happiest & greatest peoples of the US lived in teepee's
God Bless
Peaceful :)

John Harrelson

I am by no means an expert on which trailer is better or worse for full timers, so here is my opinion.

I have had several different brands of Rvs as well as different types. I have had truck campers, travel trailers, 5th wheels, and motor homes.. Everything from Prowler to Ideal, Pace Arrow, Prairie Schooner, Fleetwood...

The only one I ever had any problems with was the Pace Arrow motorhome,, but that was due to old age, high mileage and lots of wear and tear.

At the present time I have a 1995 Prowler 5th wheel 30.5 feet with one slide out. I bought it second hand from a private party.
I love it and have had no problems of any kind.

I truly do not believe that any one brand is any better or worse than another brand. It does not matter if it's brand new or second hand, if there is going to be a problem, it's going to happen...

If you read more of the RV forums on the internet, you will see that just about every name brand has some people that love it and some people that hate it.

I know there are a lot of people who bad-mouth Fleetwood products. Well if the other RV manufacturers produced as many RVs as Fleetwood did each year, they would have a higher rate of problems also. Fleetwood is the largest maker of RVs in America. They make everything from motor homes to travel trailers to 5th wheels,,,,,

So if I may make a suggestion.... find the trailer that you like, that fits your budget and can be pulled by the truck that you have or want to buy and stop worrying about names brands..

The only "Brand" you want to be sure of is the dealer who sold it to you.. If the dealer is honest and responsible, you will have a good buy.. They are the ones who you will turn too if something does go wrong..

best of luck,
John

The Traveler

We have had three Hitchhiker II over the last 9 years that
we have been fulltiming, We have no complaints about this Company
and the quality of its rigs.

hertig

Before signing on the dotted line, check the warrenty. Some RV's state that if you live in it more than x% of the year, the warrenty is void or reduced... This would be a sign that perhaps this model is NOT suited for fulltiming :)

Kirk

You might also want to check out the RV Consumer Group atwww.rv.org. They rate RVs by make and model. It will cost some money but it will do more to educate you about RVs than you can learn in a year of study.