which is the best gps

Pillaz

I often us a gps when traveling. I have a Garmin NUvi. The directions in my home town are horrible. It tells me to take a bunch of back roads that would take me 8 mile before I get to a highway. The highway is but 4 miles from my house. I have run inot a couple of instances where the Garmin gives me poor directions in small towns. the GPS is set for truck directions yet it likes to take me on back roads. The DW likes to tell me where to go.... but it is not quite the same thing :laugh: A friend has a Tom tom and it gives the same directions as the Garmin but with a lot less options. Is there a better GPS???? MY Class A towing the boat likes big roads :)
PS. anyone know where I can get cheep NFL tickets.. I usually go to a couple of games a year but this year the tickets are way more expensive> I thought the ecconomy was bad!?... Ok off topic... Go Giants!.... That should get some of you texans talking :laugh:

LEN

Re: which is the best gps

What you are asking is not for a better gps but a better data base. The data base's are all from the same source with value added. So for the most part the answer is there is no better, all you can search for is options or view ability on the GPS reciever/computer.

LEN

DL Rupper

My Garmin does the same thing. Use the GPS when applicable. I always try to look ahead on a map so I know if "LUCY" is taking me where I want to go. My GPS is "Lucy in the sky with diamonds" if you catch my drift. :laugh: :eek:

elkhartjim

Don't ever make the mistake I did and tell it to take the shortest route. It may be shorter but it may be hours longer cause it'll take you on ever back street in the state. Just take a drive through dowtown Natchez, MS in a 38 with a toad and make some of those turns. Some of those streets are two buggies wide.

Pillaz

Thanks for all of the responses. It helps me feel less crazy!!! Plus now I won't invest in another GPS

H2H1

well Ken I love my GPS, WOULD NOT GO ANYPLACE WITH OUT IT

LEN

GPS with mapping of some type on laptop or a gps mapping system of some type, never leave home without it.
I don't know how many times I've stopped somewhere and done a local tour and needed/wanted a local map, the GPS or laptop has always come through.
The bad part is the ability of the mapping to be updated. Most of the mapping is 50 or more years old with updates so in the farming country not much changes over the years but in the populated areas Katie bar the door.
GPS and the mapping systems are a great tool but a person must have in mind that roads change faster than the mapping companies and the NGS and National geodetic survey can keep up.
Still I like the modern way better than trying to locate a bunch of paper maps.
Also with a laptop and something like MSN Streets or Delormne with a GPS reciever at like $80 I always have a reasonable map with me. And with trip planning to boot.
JMO

LEN

Paul235

RE: which is the best gps

I logged on to pose this very same question concerning replacing my Garmin and Pillaz beat me to it. It appears my Streetpilot has been worked to the point of exhaustion and requires $200 worth of surgery. Have used it for at least 4 years and love it, but also have not thrown away my paper maps. I need better perspective in my brain than a little screen without details. I also can see the worth of the Delorme laptop but it only makes sense sitting on top of the doghouse not in a midsize car or on my motorcycle. My streetpilot worked well in all those places with a remote antenna well forward on the front deck. It let me down very rarely, but sometimes did need to shut her up (she was a constant nag when I made the wrong turn!).

Ok....Garmin, Nuvi, Tom Tom, whats the best one? Most bang for the buck, expensive to update, etc.

DL Rupper

Hey Ken, the GPS still beats my wifey all to hell and certainly beats steering with one hand trying to look at the map and make the right turns. I just try to know reasonably well where I'm going and use a certain amount of caution with the GPS. I would certainly not want to rely on one entirely. The best thing they do is let you know well in advance where the road is heading.

Sometimes I can see by the GPS moving map that "Lucy" is not taking the short/direct route and I overide her. But boy does she squawk when you do that. The short route sometimes leads to a low overpass so you have to be careful. I have her set on the BIG TRUCK navigation, but she will still try to go through some wierd backroads or dirt roads. I still won't ever be without one. :eek:

Pillaz

Paul, I only have seen the Garmin and Tom Tom in action. The Garmin has more options and you can zoom in on the map and drag your finger across the map to look ahead. If I could do it while driving it would be great. But that would not be safe. I guess that since they all use the same maping program there is not a big difference. I do use paper maps as a back up and plan my roots. I use the Gps because the DW hides in the back when traffic gets bad and reading a map while driving is probably not the best idea either. I am getting used to hearing "recalculating" a lot.
The only major advantage I see from using gps is it tells you how far ahead your next turn is. Maybe as the mapping technologiy gets better they will give better directions. In the mean time I will just look at our travels down some of these narrow back roads as another adventure. :)

Paul235

I also try to shun interstates and freeways unless I have to make time. Back roads are a lot more "interesting". The portability of my old Garmin Streepilot was very usefull but I guess its time for a new one. I also like to plan a little before heading over the horizon on my Laptop and then load various routes into the GPS. There's not a lot of info available as to linking up the computer to upload/download map data & waypoints. I enjoy the journey much more than the destination. The large screen on the laptop can't be beat using the Delorme but its not practical having my navigator (aka SWMBO) balancing a 17" laptop on her lap.

ironart

Paul....you are absolutely right.!!!! :) :) :)

There are two kinds of boaters.....Those with power boats and those with sail boats....The power boaters just put the boat on auto pilot and sit back and can't wait till they get there.......

The Sailors...play with the wind, set the sails and trim and re trim them all the way to the destination......

They all say the same thing... "They enjoy the journey much more that the destination"

Paul235

The true heart of a sailor. I used to help teach basic sailing at Treasure Island Yacht club with beer can races to follow. SF Bay is a neat spot for those who love sailing. Too bad the city of SF is what it is.