Which model to purchase?

70buddy

I'm in the process of purchasing a new motorhome within the next 2 years and looking for some advice. I'm doing some research on the best and most durable motorhome to purchase. I'm the type of person who likes to buy something once and not regret it later. Looking for some advice on the 40E Excursion. Also which engine is better, the Cat or Cummins. which chassis gives the best ride and what is the difference in them. Thanks for the help!!!

DL Rupper

Re: Which model to purchase?

Hey 70buddy, welcome to the forum. You can't go wrong with Cummins. Besides Cummins diesel smoke smells better. Also if you get an on-board Onon generator, Cummins is the authorized dealer/repair facility for Onon.

Poppa

DL has been huffing them dar disel fumes again :laugh: Wonder what kind of additive he uses to make'em smell so goooooooood :cool:

Kirk

Cummins does seem to have more fans than Cat. As to the best chassis, I don't really think that there is a significant majority opinion on that one.

Kirk

Cummins does seem to have more fans than Cat. As to the best chassis, I don't really think that there is a significant majority opinion on that one.

benwd

It doesn't seem to make sense when gassers are giving advice on diesels.

Cummins has some problems. Leaking seals on the ulsd fuel and shearing exhaust manifold bolts. Both are expensive. Cat doesn't seem to be having these problems.

hertig

Also, there are rumblings about a bad wrist pin in some of the Cummins engines which can cause the engine to 'explode'. Their solution? They will install a red light on your dash board to let you know that the engine is about to explode.

So in general, when they work, they work very well. When they don't work, Cummins may or may not support it adequately.

DL Rupper

Hey Poppa, I use Diesel Kleen, by Power Service in my tank. Do you think that's what makes it smell so GOOD. Heck, I always thought it was the Cummins engine that made it smell sweet. :approve: :bleh: ;)

utmtman

As for chassis their is a difference and workhorse is a preference to most the folks I have talk to. Workhorse also has a club one can join with rallys and so on.

tinkerer

RE: Which model to purchase?

I can only give you one bit of advice on the Cummins. If you are looking at a coach that was manufactured between 1998 to 2002 and it has a 5.9 Cummins have a good diesel mechanic check the engine block. If if has a #53 stamped on the block run like h--. These blocks were cast in Brazil and are prone to cracking. I know as I was unfortunate to have one of these that cracked. This is an extremely expensive repair. The new style blocks have a different casting. My new engine has the new style block.