Which State for a homebase?

treeohtree

I’m planning to buy a rig and start full timing about Jan’02. I’ve been told that the home state makes a big difference as far as taxes and fees are concerned. I’m looking for the cheapest way to go, as I have no other reason to pick one instead of another. Can anyone recommend a state that has no income tax, no sales tax and inexpensive Motor Vehicle fees? Or perhaps you could offer a source reference that I should peruse. I’d be more than willing to move anywhere in advance, and establish residency to keep it all legal. Is there any reason that a person could not have driver’s license from state X, a tow vehicle with a plate from state Y, and a travel trailer plate from state Z ? Also any other suggestions or recommendations about my plan would be most welcome. Thanks in advance for
any post, or an e-mail direct to me at jerry@iu.net R/s Treeohtree

happyboy4

i dunno about plates A, B, and C. But i do belive there are only 3 states without income tax? Nevada, Florida, and Texas (for sure). Ask your accountant about the rest.. ;)

happy

allthehansens

Alaska has no sales tax, no income tax and the plates are $70 for two years on a motor vehicle and $30 for a trailer. If you are 65 you get to one for free. Check it out at www.state.ak.us

lynn

Check out a magazine by Readers Digest New Choices July/August 2001. It has a good article & chart on state taxes. Might be helpful. They also have a website www.newchoices.com.

BILL

I don't know about other states but here in Florida plates are based on weight & use not value as they are in California and some others. The plates on my 32' 99 HR Vacationer cost about $50.00 or less per year. There is no income tax and sales tax 6%.
Hope you enjoy full timing-
Bill

Kirk

States with no income tax...
Alaska, Florida, Nevada, S. Dakota, Texas, Washington, & Wyoming

States with no sales tax ...........
Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, & Oregon

There are no states that have no sales or income taxes, although all of the sales tax in Alaska is local, rather than state.

Remember that you must move your entire residence to the state that you choose. You may not just choose to live in one state to avoid income tax, register the car in another to avoid sales tax, and then vote back home. It doesn't work that way. If you wish to avoid trouble with the law, choose one that looks best to you and move everything there.

Good travelin~! .....................Kirk
URL: www.1tree.net/adventure/

Good travelin! ......Kirk
www.1tree.net/adventure

rv wizard

This topic is discussed in this months issue of Family Motorcoaching magazine. I found it very useful and intresting. A lot of things to consider. Good luck in your discession.

Mike, Amy, Ashley, Candi
'95 Rexhall 36' Aerbus
#3 & #8 NASCAR

yoeric

this is what Id do Tree...

Register your stuff in Alaska for your plates and such, get a forwarding address to a mail forwarding outfit in Nevada...camp where you please. If you really want to get Hecktic, go to Belize and live free. All you need is min. 1500 to 2K income comming in per month to receive a Belize citizenship for I think 650$, give or take 100 clams.

Keep this in mind. You have dual citizenship, your income isnt JACKED by thieves in the US and Belize sure doesnt care, (AS LONG AS IT DOESNT ORIGINATE FROM BELIZE), who think they are "OWED" by your labor (State and FED)etc..etc...register your things in Belize, travel and move through your Countrie(s) of YOUR choice!

By the way friend, your Social Security Check qualifies...no matter the amount! All your living is **** near dirt cheap in Belize since US money stretches farther than the Truth which came out of Bill Clinton's pie-hole.

Amazing how all this came from a retired 33 year old, HUH FELLAS! Let me know of your progress and never forget to do your OWN due dilligence.

yoeric

this is what Id do Tree...

Register your stuff in Alaska for your plates and such, get a forwarding address to a mail forwarding outfit in Nevada...camp where you please. If you really want to get Hecktic, go to Belize and live free. All you need is min. 1500 to 2K income comming in per month to receive a Belize citizenship for I think 650$, give or take 100 clams.

Keep this in mind. You have dual citizenship, your income isnt JACKED by thieves in the US and Belize sure doesnt care, (AS LONG AS IT DOESNT ORIGINATE FROM BELIZE), who think they are "OWED" by your labor (State and FED)etc..etc...register your things in Belize, travel and move through your Countrie(s) of YOUR choice!

By the way friend, your Social Security Check qualifies...no matter the amount! All your living is **** near dirt cheap in Belize since US money stretches farther than the Truth which came out of Bill Clinton's pie-hole.

Amazing how all this came from a retired 33 year old, HUH FELLAS! Let me know of your progress and never forget to do your OWN due dilligence. ;) :cool:

janicenlarry

Majority of full timers seem to home base out of FL or TX. Good Sam has a mail operation in Pensacola and will furnish all forms and info to transfer residency. I have used it for 5 yrs. and have had no problems.
Escapees has a big operation out of Livinston, TX and they will also provide necessary forms and info. :)

Thomas Schaefer

Only problem with TX is the vehicle inspection. Sticker on 2-year or older car is due yearly. If you are out-of-state when it expires and you drive into Texas, you better get to an inspection station.
I am in TX, but I am looking at FL for this reason. I am paying over $100 for trailer plates, but I also have a 37" 5th wheel. F-350 costs about $70 for Houston area; little less in the country away from major areas (bridge tax, etc.)

taob43

Check website www.alternative resources they are in S. Dakota no sales tax on rvs, but a 3% excise tax and no state tax, plus mail forwarding good luck

No income tax in Tennessee, but the sales tax will eat a large hole in your living expenses (which doesn,t matter if your not going to spend much time there) and will cost you a small fortune to license your RV when you buy it new or used. We bought a 31ft fiver from a couple in Memphis they had to pay sales tax on it when they bought it, then when we bought it from them and licensed it, we had to pay sales tax on it again. (A whopping 9&3/4% on the first 5k and 6% on the rest.) The good part is that outside of Memphis there is no state inspection and license plates can be renewed via mail and drivers license only have to be renewed every 5 years.

roborjoanne

Check out this website for information regarding making Tennessee your home state. http://www.mailcallusa.com

Some friends of ours just recently changed over to Tennessee and are using this company for their mail forwarding. They were former Escapees out of TX but had to change because their insurance carrier would not write insurance for their 5th wheel and truck in TX anymore. When they started searching for an alternative, they found that they could obtain insurance cheaper as well as MUCH cheaper fees for registering their truck and 5th wheel.

dougspug

I understand that if I buy an RV in California and have it delivered out of state (can't enter state of CA for 2 months, must remain mosty out for 6 months), there is no sales tax. I think there is still CA registration fees. What could I expect to pay for licence on 35 ft fifth wheel and F350 deisel in Nevada? What about lot rent around Henderson?

Dillon

We just registered ours in Texas and it cost $252.00 to register and $129.00 a year for license. No personal property tax and that saves us $1300 a year.

janicenlarry

Look at Good Sam's mailing operation in Pensacola. They will help you register in FL for residency. No income tax, no emissions tests and plates for my 35' Class A and Jeep toad totaled $84/yr.