Which to buy first 5th wheel or truck

Old Forum Post

[rvjoe] DUMB!!!!!!BOTH THE TRUCK AND THE RIG HAVE TO MATCH UP...GET REAL!!! YOU HAVE A LOT TO LEARN...GO TO SOME CAMPGROUNDS AND ASK AROUND...DO MORE INTERNET SEARCHING...
SO, IF YOU&#039ARE SERIOUS...SEARCH OUT WHAT RIG YOU WANT TO HAVE AND WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO USE IT FOR; WEEKENDS, LONG TRIPS OR FULL TIME....THEN DO SOME RESEARCH ON A TRUCK...NEVER BUY JUST RIGHT, OR EVEN JUST BARELY RIGHT...GET MORE THAN YOU NEED AND MOST OF ALL DON&#039T LISTEN TO THE TRUCK SALES MAN OR THE RV DEALER. A FRIEND OF MINE BOUGHT A VERY LARGE 5TH WHEEL AND THE DEALER TOLD HIM THAT HIS 1/2 TON PICKUP WOULD "DO JUST FINE" BULL!!! THEY JUST WANTED TO SELL A RIG. ASK MORE QUESTIONS AND DO MORE RESEARCH...GET A SUBSCRIPTION TO TRAILER LIFE...MOST LARGE BOOK/MAGAZINE STORES HAVE IT. OR CHECK IT OUT ON LINE.
GOOD LUCK

Old Forum Post

[Nash] Joe,
Never heard a dumb question except those that are not asked. I see nothing wrong with buying a trailer I like and then getting a proper tow vehicle for the unit if you are planning on buying both anyway. I have bought trailers that I had to have friends tow home for me and then bought a vehicle to tow with. If you plan on staying in the 30 ft range a 3/4 tow will be fine IMO. I would prefere a dually for anything 30 to 35&#039. I would never tow a 5th wheel again with a 1/2 ton.

Old Forum Post

[JimM] agree with Nash, you havn&#039t asked a dumb question at all. My father in law once, facing the same predicament, and with the same almost bewildering array of choices, made the right decision and still got in trouble. He went back and forth between the ttuck and camper dealer several times, then ordered the truck on the camper dealers recommendation. When the truck came in, went to the camper dealer and was advised that in the ensuing months the camper model was sold, the model was discontinued and the new ones in stock would not work with his truck! sometimes no matter what you do, it is wrong! The way I see it, the two decisions are tied very closely together with a lot of other facters thrown in. How big a truck do you need for other things? Do you have other uses for the truck? Is testosterone a factor? Do you favor a big or little fiver? While RV Joe was a little crass in his comeback, he is right, all things considered, the truck is probably your first decision, but you must at least consider how big the fiver will be, as that will help dictate the size of the truck. If you are uncertain, go one size bigger than you might other wise and, try to buy as much truck as you can afford. Although I do not own a fiver, I have noticed that they can get VERY heavy in a hurry, and they can even exceed the capacity of even the 1 ton dually&#039s. Of course, the type of travel you might engage in also matters, ie desert, mountain, flat, hilly, etc all play into the decision. There are a lot more factors that go into it, but you get the idea. Happy Trails Jim