Which Used Class B to get??

Finman

Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum and looking at Class B motorhomes. I kinda' like the Xplorer. It seems to offer as much as the others and appears to be rugged. Dose anyone know about their dual rear wheels? Is this a Dodge option or some retrofit or something. More importantly, do the front and rear wheels interchange? Any other thoughts on which class B to get I would appreciate. I have to buy a used one, maybe 1996-1999 or so.
Thanks for your help.

ski

Hi!
We are wondering which class B to get, also. We are looking at a Road Trek 190 Versatile. It has the 318 Dodge. Is this engine powerful enough? I mean, how fast/well does it go up hill?
Ski

smallcamper

Hi Ski, I have a 190 Versatile.

The 318 is a fine engine. If you look at the power to weight ratio of the Roadtrek VS a regular motorhome you'll see why I'm able to pass them going up hill. Roadtrek power to weight ratio appx 38:1, average class C motorhome appx 45:1, average class A motorhome appx 50:1.

I calculate the power to weight ratio as gross weight divided by horsepower. For comparison, the average automobile is appx 20:1.

I'm able to accelerate on entrance ramps to the interstate highway more like a car than a motorhome.

Hope this helps.
;)

ski

Hi! SmallCamper,
Thanks so much. Yes, that really helps. We have not purchased it yet, but are very seriously thinking about it. Any other comments either positive or otherwise would be helpful. We are sure this is the size we want, so just wondering how it compares to other Bs. This particular one is a 1998 with 45,000 miles on it, but zero use of appliances, toilet, shower.
Ski

smallcamper

If it has a generator and it has been unused like the appliances, it will probably require a new carburetor. Gasoline turns to varnish inside the unused carb. The carb is non repairable, no parts available for it.

As to comparing to other B-vans it really gets down to personal tastes. Leisure Travel, Pleasureway, Xplorer are all good quality units too. We like the large temporary bathroom of the Roadtrek. Some prefer the closet type bathrooms of the others.

A good place to get some Roadtrek info is the Yahoo Roadtrek Group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/roadtrek/

ejhearn

Hi - We bought a new 91 Roadtrek and still have it - 136 K miles - all trips. It was great for the two of us - but would be too crowded for more. The Dodge 318 is getting old but still gets us there. The paint is chipping off and the mpg is going down - but the RV stuff still works fine - we had to replace - frig - pump - toilet - etc - but overall I think the Roadtrek is first class. We had a used class A and a new class C and the Roadtrek was by far the best RV for us. I hope this helps.
E